starting strength gym

Thread: Powerclean Form Check

Default Powerclean Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Alright, only second day of power cleans, so form definitely could use some work. I've only watched the videos of the SS method of teaching the PC, haven't gotten there in the book yet.

Regardless, here's my last (fifth) set of 3 for the day today.

115 lbs (trying to keep it on the lighter side until I can get the form better:

SS Form Check - Power Clean 115 x3 - 5th set - YouTube

Off the bat:
    • Watching it in freeze frame on my phone, it appears I'm still having issues with jumping the gun and arm bending once I get over my knee. The second rep is the only one that looks like I have straight arms at the time of jumping.
    • Bar path is not exactly vertical because I'm ending up with a lot of weight on the back of my feet at the time of catching. I may be setting up slightly too far away from the bar. I noticed on my deadlift video from wednesday that I was setting up far too close, so I added a half an inch today to my starting position. May have been too much. Thoughts?
    • Definitely could use some cues to remember to put my elbows further out on the rack. From jump to rack happens so quick I don't realize I barely put my elbows out. This is probably contributing to the backwards horizontal force element.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Not sure how to edit my existing post but I also wanted to add I acknowledge I spent too much time between reps, and will speed it up next time.

Also after some reading I think my grip point may still be ~" inches too close (not a full hand width outside of deadlift grip). Do you think this will unstack the wrists from the forearms and make it easier to catch on the shoulders and not my sternum? Also, I was watching the video in slow motion and there's a LOT of space at the top of the pull... Should I increase weight by 20lbs to 135lbs next round and proceed with 10 pound increments or stick with 10 pound increments from here?

I don't see the benefit of posting a form check when you haven't read the section in the book that will address your bullets in great detail.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
    I don't see the benefit of posting a form check when you haven't read the section in the book that will address your bullets in great detail.
    I concur with JJ23. The answers are there.

Quote Originally Posted by bb12345 View Post
    Should I increase weight by 20lbs to 135lbs next round and proceed with 10 pound increments or stick with 10 pound increments from here?
    Adding weight at this point will do nothing to solve your issues. You already acknowledge to yourself after your first rep that you aren't getting your elbows forward fast enough; adding weight will slow that down even more until you get the movement down. Drop weight, perhaps even down to 65lbs (those look like 10lb plates on the outside, right?) and work through the steps as outlined in the book.