starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check (lower back pain)

Default Deadlift form check (lower back pain)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everyone, I started SS about a month ago, could you please help critique my deadlift form? Here is a link to my session today at 245x5: Deadlift form check - YouTube

I've been having some low back pain immediately from following deadlifts, and lingering for maybe 15 minutes to several hours depending on the day. It feels kind of similar to a muscle pump, but painful. Not extremely painful, but to the point where I strongly prefer sitting over standing to avoid the sensation. What do y'all think?

I think you need to read the book or hire a coach, because this is not an SS deadlift.

Here are the requirements for posting videos (proper angle for each lift, distance, no shoeless, etc.):

Required reading before posting

Tough to critique from the angle of your video. Looks like you don't have your back in full extension at setup, and then your back flexes on each rep. That can cause soreness (ask me how I know).

All of the five steps are being mixed up. Do each on in order as specified.

I have read it and recognize that I'm probably doing something wrong due to the lower back pain, which is why I asked for help. I also go over it regularly - during every day with deadlift, I review the book's excerpts from the starting strength app between warm up sets.

Maybe it's very obvious you what I'm doing wrong, but I'm genuinely trying to figure it out and haven't been able to...

Got, what I was trying to do was
    0. Stand with 1 inch between shins and bar
    1. Grab bar
    2. Knees forward, shins touch bar
    3. Extend back as much as possible by lifting chest and sticking butt out
    4. Lift

If it's easy for you to tell, can you please help identify which steps I'm doing in the wrong order? Or is this order itself wrong?

Understood, thank you for replying. I will take a video next following these filming guidelines more strictly during my next Deadlift session. I will do it with a bit of a lower weight so I don't continue to hurt my back while learning the form.

I will also try harder to extend my back. Maybe it's a flexibility issue - the degree of extension I'm doing in the video already feels like it's as much as I can extend, if I'm understanding what I'm meant to do by extension correctly (my understanding is chest up + butt out).

I think you need to set your back. That's the biggest issue here. On the reps you appear to be setting it, it ends up folding like a lawn chair. Take a big breath in and use the pressure to hold the spine in the set position. That should be the last thing you do before pushing the floor. Use chalk if you're allowed, grip is interrupting your focus.
    Also your weight is probably not helping the pain. You need to start gomad, as you're too skinny.

Quote Originally Posted by antonioc View Post
    I will also try harder to extend my back. Maybe it's a flexibility issue - the degree of extension I'm doing in the video already feels like it's as much as I can extend, if I'm understanding what I'm meant to do by extension correctly (my understanding is chest up + butt out).
    Your back does not appear to be properly in extension--it's not flexibility, it's the setup. Here is Coach Rippetoe going through the deadlift in a 4 minute video!

The Deadlift in 5 Steps | Mark Rippetoe

For more on the deadlift setup, see this excellent video by Coach Delgadillo:

Fixing a Rounded Low Back in the Deadlift | Nick Delgadillo

And if the problem is still not going away, more from Coach Delgadillo:

Fixing the Hard Cases in the Deadlift | Nick Delgadillo

Good luck!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by antonioc View Post
    I have read it and recognize that I'm probably doing something wrong due to the lower back pain, which is why I asked for help. I also go over it regularly - during every day with deadlift, I review the book's excerpts from the starting strength app between warm up sets.
    If you were, as you say, going over the book regularly, you would not do the first and second step of the set up wrong. It is completely clear that you have looked at one or two videos, took the programming page from the website and are “doing the program” that way.

I don’t mind this, it is your life after all, but you should not expect people to coach you in everything for free. Read the book or hire a coach is the only advice I can give you.