starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi guys,

Could you please critique my form? I used to have low back pain in the past when squatting, which is thankfully now gone. However I'm getting middle back pain now, which feels spinal rather then muscular. Considering the pain I'm experiencing, I wanted to ensure I perfect the form.

Also, any ideas of what the mid-back pain may actually be and what's causing it?

Please see the videos below. In one of them I'm pausing at the bottom (while the weight is still light at the beggining of the program) and in the other video I'm pausing both at the bottom and half way.

1. Squat form check - pause at the bottom and half way
    Squat form check - pause at the bottom and half way - YouTube
    2. Squat form check - pause at the bottom
    Squat form check - pause at the bottom - YouTube

Thanks

Bend over more and look at the ground. Buy some lifting shoes.

You are also overextending your back. You may have to think about doing a tiny crunch to actually make the lumbar neutral and rigid. I am not surprised your back is hurting.

Also, don't pause at the bottom or middle. Only at the top.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Thanks mate. That's useful, I'll buy lifting shoes and try to not overextend. you please explain what you mean by tiny crunch?

I thought I may make the training more difficult while the weights are very low at the beginning, hence pausing at the bottom.

Any clue on what the mid back pain may be?

If I bend over more, my concern is that the bar won't be in line with my feet, but more so in front of them. Is that ok?

Quote Originally Posted by GetStrong View Post
    Thanks mate. That's useful, I'll buy lifting shoes and try to not overextend. you please explain what you mean by tiny crunch?
    The tiny crunch would be you voluntarily flexing your back (so that's it's neutral) using your abs.
    It may be easier to think of as using your muscles to push your bellybutton into your back.

I thought I may make the training more difficult while the weights are very low at the beginning, hence pausing at the bottom.
    Just make bigger jumps if it's that easy. There's no benefit to pausing in this case.

Any clue on what the mid back pain may be?
    I can't say for sure without more details and a better video of you squatting: required reading before posting

If I bend over more, my concern is that the bar won't be in line with my feet, but more so in front of them. Is that ok?
    The bar will go forward if you only bend over. What should happen is that you bend over and shift your weight by sitting back so you stay midfoot. Additionally, this is light weight - the bar will not be vertical over the midfoot at light weights relative to your body weight.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

Thanks heaps mate for your valuable comments!

I've tried taking your suggestions onboard and took another video. Please see below. How is this looking?

It still somehow looks unnatural to me. It looks like I have a but wink at the bottom which is a concern to me due to serious l5-s1 injury.

Squat form check 2 - YouTube

Looks like you haven't read the book. “Butt Wink” | Mark Rippetoe

The back looks a lot better but there are a lot of other issues here. I would recommend getting the book and reading it if you haven't already.

Also, there's nothing natural about a man using machined steel to bend over and then stand back up with increasing loads of cast iron. We do this in spite of how unnatural it is. The squat is not intuitive.

Thanks heaps mate for your valuable comments!

I've tried taking your suggestions onboard and took another video. Please see below. How is this looking?

It still somehow looks unnatural to me. It looks like I have a but wink at the bottom which is a concern to me due to serious l5-s1 injury.

Squat form check 2 - YouTube
    This is actually a seriously decent low bar squat considering that the bar is not in the low bar position.

Hvala Jovane 😀

Do I need to consciously make effort that my lumbar spine doesn't round at the bottom? I'm very concerned that I may re-injure my spine as I have a herniated L5-S1 disc.

Also, if you don't mind, what should I focus on next?

Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    Read the book and learn how to control your low back.

Buy some lifting shoes, and put the bar in the low bar position. It's too high at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast