starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat and deadlift form check

Default Squat and deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    How are these squats? Depht ok?

I elevated the deadlift because I struggle keeping the back in extension from the floor and i end up hitching at the lockout.

Squat 157,5 x 3
    Squat triple 157,5 kg - YouTube

Squat 140 x 5
    Squat 140 x 5 - YouTube

Block deadlift 180 x 5
    Block deadlift 180 kg - YouTube

Required reading before posting - particularly for the DL.

SQ: Looking at the 140, toe turnout seems a bit excessive and depth isn't always quite there. I would also let your knees travel a bit further forward on the descent, you are a bit too straight shinned.

DL: Angle is terrible here. You should post a video pulling from the floor normally. Since you *can* extend your back here in rep 1, you can almost certainly do it when pulling from the floor at *some* weight. It may just be form is falling apart at higher weights.

Thank you for the response Hayden.

Are these better?

Squat: I tried letting knees track forward.

12. mai 2021 - YouTube

Deadlift: Now I pull from the floor.

13. mai 2021 - YouTube

SQ: Knees are better, but stance hasn't been corrected (slightly too wide and too much toe turnout). Also, you need to lean over a touch more at the start.

DL: Keep your shins angled forward when you squeeze (don't rock back on your heels). Lockout straight, not excessively leaned back. You are definitely getting a back squeeze, it's just not as strong as it could be. Do some drill laying on the floor and picking your chest off the ground. Then try taking a bit of a wider stance (and as a result a slightly wider grip) to see if the added space for your belly/torso helps you get a bit of a better squeeze.

Thank you once again Hayden.

Squat: I tried narrowing my stance, and bending over earlier while still pushing my knees forward.

Deadlift: I widened my stance and grip, as well as the extend back on the floor drill. Bottom position felt terrible, but I guess it is supposed to. Also tried to not rock back on heels while setting back. Not sure if lockout is better(straighter).

Squat
    16. mai 2021 - YouTube

Deadlift

16. mai 2021 - YouTube

In the back of my mind I have the thought that if my sticking is not around the knees, then I am not doing the deadlift properly. I have read on the forum that different limb lenghts also contribute to sticking points. What do you think is the case for me?
    1. I am not extending my back properly, therfore my sticking point is at lockout.
    2. My sticking point is at lockout because of the way I am built.

SQ: Much better. Some reps still need the knees forward a bit sooner, but overall looking better.

DL: Much improved as well. The only issue now is not getting enough squeeze. You might be able to get a bit more if you widen your grip and angle your shins out a bit more, but it still might be difficult even with that. Practice the squeeze diligently in all warm-ups. Remember you should be squeeing the entire weight of the bar off the ground. Feel all the weight in your hands before you pull. Don't think about sticking points now - they aren't an issue; just focus on the squeeze.

Thank you again Hayden. I really appreciate you taking the time. Good to hear I’m improving a little bit. I will try a wider grip on the deadlift and angle my toes out more.

starting strength coach development program
    Lighter weight and no belt. I just had to post this one too see if could do it correctly without the belt without widening my stance and grip even more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast