starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st timer deadlift check

Default 1st timer deadlift check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm 57, 90kg. Just worked my way back to where I was before 3 month lockdown. It took 4 weeks to get back here to 130kg, deadlifting once per week. This felt heavy, but I'll go to 132.5kg next week if I get the technical green light.

Thanks in advance.

You're dropping your hips. Stop fidgeting between reps and make sure you keep your butt high as you set the bar down.

Keep your eyes fixed on one spot eight feet in front of you the entire time. Don't look away. Get a water bottle if you need a target.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Thank you, coach. I will try to address all of those points next Tuesday when I pull 132.5kg.

Not a coach, but I would say your stance is exceptionally wide. Put your heels closer together and turn your toes out at a 45° angle.

I think that may also help with Andrew's suggestion because then you can set your back harder.

I'd say 35 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    Not a coach, but I would say your stance is exceptionally wide. Put your heels closer together and turn your toes out at a 45° angle.

I think that may also help with Andrew's suggestion because then you can set your back harder.
    I don't think his stance is "exceptionally" wide, but he could definitely angle his toes out just a little more.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    I don't think his stance is "exceptionally" wide, but he could definitely angle his toes out just a little more.
    I can only speak from personal experience that after narrowing my deadlift stance my confidence in the lift went up tremendously. Not sure why, but I seem to be able to set my back harder and keep tighter. The lift just feels stronger now.

My stance used to be about like what I see in the video. Almost looks like about a foot wide. I like to put my heels about where the center knurling of the bar is and then angle my toes out.

Worked for me. Just a suggestion.

The stance in his video is about 8-9 inches between the heels. But you're right about the toe angle. He'd like the stance better if he narrowed heels to 6 while keeping the toes where they are.

I did pull 132.5kg today, but I won't post the video because it is embarrassingly evident that I am unable to follow simple instructions such as "don't drop your hips" and "keep your eyes fixed at a point 8 feet ahead of you" (I think l nailed the fidgeting).

But I do want to say that the suggested stance alteration made a very noticeable difference, so thanks very much for that.

I'll post my 135kg attempt next week if I can at least look like I'm trying to do as I'm told.

starting strength coach development program
    OK, I hope this was better. 135Kg today.

On the final rep I felt that there might have been some lower-back flexion, but I can't see it on the video.

Also, my nose started bleeding at the top of the final rep. I only noticed when putting it down and blood spattered on the floor. Am I ok to go 137.5kg next week, or do I need to do a blood-free set before progressing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast