starting strength gym

Thread: Form Check

Default Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi All,

I currently finished my novice linear progression 5 weeks ago: I just finished my week 5 day 3 of my texas method. I am just restarting my cycle after a 4 week peak. My squat needed a minor deload after a peak of 290lb 5. I am 170lb bodyweight.

I am interested in form checks for my:

1. Low bar back squat: Squat 285lb 5 form check - YouTube
    -This is my Texas Method wk5d3 squat: 285lb for 5
    -I am thinking about knees out on the way down, keep the wrists straight, nipples pointed to the floor, eye gaze at the floor 30 degrees or so away, and keep the tension in my hips + hamstrings. Then on the way up, I think about raising my butt vertically up.

2. Deadlift: Deadlift Form Check - YouTube
    -This is my Texas Method wk5d3 PR, 315lb for 4
    -I set up 1" away, it's kind of intuitive to me by now in case you see me roll my 4th rep to the position. It had moved out of place in a way that interferes with my footing standing on the crease of 2 platforms meeting each other. Ideally would not have liked to roll that bar into position.

3. Press: Overhead Press Form Check - YouTube
    -TM wk5d3 142.5lb for 5

Most specifically, I am most worried about my squat. I am very new to low bar squatting, and I don't know if it's correct or not, but I try my best to hinge forward as much as possible and load the hips + feel lengthened tension in the hamstrings at the peak of the bottom position, which is hip crease below the top of the patella.

Thank you very much for any critics, this is my first post.

None of these angles are great for everything we need to see. Please read the sticky and watch the videos on how to film.

The knees need to come forward as you start the squat and lean over. You're bowing, then unlocking the knees, then smashing into the bottom.

You're also trying to lift your chest out of the bottom rather than drive up with the hips.

Hips and knees together, stay tight and controlled into the hole, come up leading with your ass rather than your chest.

Thank you thank you! I will do better next time and record accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    None of these angles are great for everything we need to see. Please read the sticky and watch the videos on how to film.

The knees need to come forward as you start the squat and lean over. You're bowing, then unlocking the knees, then smashing into the bottom.

You're also trying to lift your chest out of the bottom rather than drive up with the hips.

Hips and knees together, stay tight and controlled into the hole, come up leading with your ass rather than your chest.
    Today I made my adjustments to my texas method wk6d1 volume day squat using tm wk5d3 load.
    I focused on re-learning how to squat by pushing my hips straight up. I was shocked to find that my bar path was still over midfoot in a straight line despite the new change. I thought for sure my chest + hips had to rise at the same time. Anyways, I will leave the review to you all before I state anymore self findings.

Squat 285lb 5th set of 5x5 for 6(thought was 5) Rear 45 view:
    Adjustments 285lb set 5 of 5x5 45 - YouTube

Squat 285lb 5th set of 5x5 for 6(thought was 5) Side View:
    Adjustments 285lb set 5 of 5x5 side - YouTube

Didn't read the sticky. No barefoot videos.

starting strength coach development program
    Get some squat shoes. You are dive bombing all of your reps. Lean over more, think about pointing your nipples to the ground. There is absolutely no reason to be doing the Texas method with your body weight, you have switched to intermediate programming way before exhausting the novice gains.