starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check 108kg

Default Squat Form Check 108kg

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

I would appreciate some guidance on my 108kg last set of squats Last set 108kg squat - YouTube

Some things to note:

1. I use a wider grip with fingers over. My elbow and bicep were really bothering me with thumbs overgrip, as directed in the book. It just wasn't working for more, caused me pain and affected my bench. I now have no issues at all with my current grip.
    2. First rep was a little bit wobbly
    3. I'm concerned some reps might be good morning squats?
    4. I did 6 reps instead of 5, for the first time in a long while! My bad...
    5. Sorry for the ass crack

Let me know your thoughts on the squat.

Cheers!

1 - Lower the J-hooks one notch. Doesn't look like you have enough clearance un-racking.
    2 - Stand up normally at the top. Especially on rep #1 it kind of looks like your knees are locked, although its a little tough to tell with the sweatpants.
    3 - Knees are not staying out all the way over the toes, which could indicate too wide of a stance, but again tough to tell from this angle.
    4 - Low back is unlocking a bit too much. Keep it tight.

Thanks Ryan.

I do squat fairly wide, so I'll narrow my stance a bit when I next squat.

It's been difficult to get a good video since I started squatting inside the rack. Unfortunately, my gym doesn't have pins that I can attach outside the rack.

Is there an angle that would be better? Bearing in mind the rack can get in the way of the shot.

Cheers

Rear 45 degree angle from hip height as per the sticky. Get in a little closer. Rack should not get in the way unless there are plates loaded on it

Squatted today and shot from two different angles. One for my second set and one for my final set at 110kg.

Second set

Third set

I lowered the J hooks and narrowed my stance and tried to keep in mind to shove my knees out more.

I still think I'm losing some tightness in my lower back.

Hopefully, these angles can provide more insights. Which one is prefered (or perhaps they're both subpar?), so I know what angle to get next time.

Pretty solid. Second angle is preferred. What kind of belt is that? It doesn't look like its really fitted to your body

I think I see what you mean. There seems to be some slack at the back?

This is the belt I got Strength Shop 13mm Double Prong Buckle Belt - IPF Approved waist size 30 - 38. It only just fits as well, so I don't know why there appears to be that Slack.

I spent quite a bit on that belt with shipping, VAT etc gets taken into account.

Could you recommend a belt?

starting strength coach development program
    That belt is probably fine. I think you just need to get a little tighter. In general for belts though I think you will get a better fit from 4in single prong leather or suede with 10mm-12mm thickness