starting strength gym

Thread: Tweaked my back - form check?

Default Tweaked my back - form check?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Tweaked my back during squats today. Final set of first volume day after switching to intermediate programming on squats. 5x5 at 300 lbs.

Know there isn't always an obvious cause here, but I thought I would ask here if there's something obvious in my form that would contribute to this. Have experienced mild "soreness/stiffness" in my low back for weeks now - basically ever since I got my sets of 5 above 315 lbs. I wrote it off as just poor recovery (I don't always eat or sleep as well as I should) and trained through it.

I was sore before beginning today's training, though nothing unusual. Squats @ 300 didn't feel that tough, though the fourth and fifth sets were tiring.

355x5 successful set 5/29

Last set of 5x5 @ 300 back tweak 5/31

You probably notice a slight 'hitch' in the fourth rep @ 300 there. That's where the tweak occurred. Actually surprised I didn't fall on my ass.

Any thoughts? Am I hyperextending my lower back?

Toes seem to be pointed out pretty wide, but these are otherwise good squats. So no, form is not the issue. Its possible you just let yourself get too loose on one of the reps or it has to do with programming and recovery