starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Advice

Default Squat Advice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

Would greatly appreciate advice on my squat. Quick background, doing NLP and I had to reset at 300 a three weeks ago because of tendonitis in my left elbow. Went on vacation and then dropped work sets to painless, which was 225lbs. Working back up by 10lbs/session, and after today will go back to 5lbs plus a mid-week backoff day. The tendonitis is getting better thanks to the chin-up protocol--squatting today and the OHP that followed were 85% painless.

Of course looking for all critiques, but especially if anyone sees a clear trigger for tendonitis.

Thank you!

(265 on the bar)

Your upper back is soft, so the elbows stay cranked up when you squat.
    Lift your chest before each rep to get the upper back tight and see if you can't drop the elbows a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Lift your chest before each rep to get the upper back tight and see if you can't drop the elbows a bit.
    Thank you very much. I have all sorts of problems with tightness, because I can't seem to narrow my grip like I see on other videos on this forum. My shoulders any broader than the next guy's, but still the very best I can do is to get my thumbs on the spacers, and even then I have to do those little fidgets to get there.

I'll concentrate on getting the chest up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Hi Pete,

if you (or anyone else) see this, sharing an update and would greatly appreciate another glance, this time at 285. Took a lot of trial and error to get to this point, but looks and feels like my elbows are in a better place. Also I don't have screaming pain in my elbow after each set, which is a welcome change. Still have some dull pain and it takes me a while to shimmy into and out of this position, and I've left that in the video in case it's informative in some way. However, through this process, I've been able to narrow my grip by two fingers--can now get my index finger on the spacer, whereas before I couldn't even get my thumbs to that point.

Thanks again for your initial feedback.