starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check - experiencing knee / quad pain

Default Squat form check - experiencing knee / quad pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi guys!

HUGE fan of your work. I live in India where it seems there are no SS coaches, so this forum is as good as it gets for me! Here's a video of me squatting 122.5kg (270lb), it's the max weight I've squatted and kinda struggled on the second rep. Let me apologise in advance for the video angle (it's a side angle), I recorded this a while back and not been able to go to the gym since then. But my question / issue is mostly about knee slide so perhaps this angle will actually work better.

Squat Form Check - YouTube

How is my form? Specifically is there a significant knee slide related issue?

I'm mainly asking because I'm dealing with super annoying soreness in the quads in the parts that connect with the knee. So the pain is not in the belly of the quad muscle, it's near the knee. Mostly in the vastus medialis. The pain is such that it disappears in my warm up sets so I'm able to train perfectly fine. So initially I just kept training through the pain and ignored it because I've been making tremendous progress in the program. Kind of considered it just part of DOMS or one of the symptoms of making progress. But it's been going on for months now and it affects my life outside the gym - it pains every time I get up from the chair, bed, toilet seat, etc.

I recently improved my form a bit so the pain might be from before. But please advise - do I need to work on my form or is it fine? Also, should I be worried about the pain or just keep pushing through?

Read the sticky on posting guidelines. Set of 5 is required and from the correct angle.
    You're coming down too vertical with your torso.

Yes was aware of the guidelines - as I mentioned, this is an older video, I currently don't have access to a gym

Hmmm... Any particular cues I should try to keep in mind to fix this? Try to "lean forward" I guess?

Ass back and nipples to the ground. And don't dive bomb. (In other words, control your descent.)

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution View Post
    Yes was aware of the guidelines - as I mentioned, this is an older video, I currently don't have access to a gym
    If you don't have access to a gym, why are you posting this?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BastiatBB View Post
    Ass back and nipples to the ground. And don't dive bomb. (In other words, control your descent.)
    Thanks so much! Will try this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If you don't have access to a gym, why are you posting this?
    Rip - I got super excited that you replied to my thread only to realise you're telling me off �� Big fan. Read the two books and seen so many videos.

They've shut access to the building gym on account of the second wave in India. But it could open anytime now. My apologies for not following the guidelines, will stick to them strictly in the future.