starting strength gym

Thread: squat form check

Default squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The bar path seems to drift forward slightly, especially with the final reps, and I'm not sure why.

Also, my back feels like it's more upright than it ought to be, but if I try to get it more horizontal and stick my butt further back I can't keep my weight from going onto my toes. I have a long torso and short legs. Does this mean my back should be a little more upright than others?

squat form check - YouTube

Yeah, you're not leaning over enough. But also, your upper back is soft so if you were to lean over, the bar is likely moving on you.
    Get your chest up before each rep, then send your ass back as you start and you should be able to stay midfoot. Then drive the hips out of the bottom while you keep your nipples pointed downward.
    Also, narrow your stance a bit so the heels are under the shoulders and invest in a pair of lifting shoes.

This is extremely helpful feedback. Thanks. I'm going to invest in some lifting shoes.

Regarding the upper back being soft, are there any cues I can focus on to help keep it tight?

Simply lift your chest up. You won't get a lot of range, but it will get the thoracic erectors to do their job.
    Now the trick is to learn to hold that position while you lean over at the hips to get the back at the right angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Simply lift your chest up. You won't get a lot of range, but it will get the thoracic erectors to do their job.
    Now the trick is to learn to hold that position while you lean over at the hips to get the back at the right angle.
    Got it. Thank!