starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check: non vertical bar path during descent

Default Squat form check: non vertical bar path during descent

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    hi,
    I've got problems with non vertical bar path during descent in my squats. I'm trying to unlock my knees and hips together and finish rep with fully locking them. When I increase weight my squats turn into good mornings.
    side view - YouTube
    Could you give me some advises how to fix it? Should I keep my back more vertical?
    thanks for help!

Get your knees forward sooner, and bend over more. You also need to learn how to control your lower back.

At this weight, I wouldn't expect you to have a vertical bar path. This is why.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

thanks!! cold you make a short youtube clip about it? I wasn't able to find this article...
    regarding my lower back, last week I did improve my lower back by focusing on squeezing of my abs as hard as I can on the descent, still sometimes it rounds while going up, but I'm working on it. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a SS coach in Switzerland....
    BTW I saw on youtube clue that you should squeeze not only abs but also hips in top position before squatting. I feel that squeezing hips doesn't help at all and I have to let them go when I descent so I don't use it, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by tomasz_c View Post
    thanks!! cold you make a short youtube clip about it? I wasn't able to find this article...
    He linked to the article. Here it is again: Understanding the Master Cue | Mark Rippetoe

And we are unfortunately unable to provide custom videos for new members of the board.

I do not mean a custom video, I meant general video on youtube, like your squat videos. When you look on youtube videos on squat, almost everybody tells you about vertical bar path over middle of the foot.... It seems for me that it's a big misconception for novices.

Whose videos on YouTube tell you this? Link?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Whose videos on YouTube tell you this? Link?
    really almost each squat video tell you that it is one of the most important things! I did paste some example video links at the moment when they are saying that:

Fixing Your Squat : Falling Forward, Butt Wink, Lower Back Pain - YouTube
    How To Squat: Low Bar - YouTube
    How To Get A Huge Squat With Perfect Technique (Fix Mistakes) - YouTube
    Stop Squatting Like This (AWFUL!!) - YouTube

I'll try to get online SS coach - I'm trying to learn how to SS squat using youtube and it's a slow grind for me...

The fitness industry is overwhelmed by people incorrectly explaining mechanics. That's why Rip wrote this article explaining it in very clear detail. It's quite a good article. I recommend people read it all of the time.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Exactly! so it's great idea to extend the reach of this article and knowledge by making short youtube clip, like you did in the past:
    A Better Deadlift Setup with Less Fidgeting with Andrew Lewis - YouTube
    I think that search engines, especially google, did change and articles do not popup in 1st page not so often anymore.

starting strength coach development program
    But you couldn't find the article even after he posted the link. Are you sure you'd be able to find a squat video? How many have we already done? Do you know?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast