starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I get a sharp but quick jolt of pain in my lower back at the very bottom of the lift (usually just on the first rep of a set) -- especially on heavier front squats. Both flexion and extension feel okay. Best described as a momentary feeling of sharp compression every now and again with squats and occasionally when getting up from sitting.

Pain correlated to not consciously putting my lumbar into full extension and not keeping chest up. No pain on deadlifts.

Might just be feeling 8 weeks of training without much rest. Have *decent* ankle mobility but contemplating a pair of lifting shoes to shift some focus away from the hips to the legs.

Any advice appreciated.

Yeah, get some lifters.
    We ask for a work set or challenging set of five reps because at that weight it will reveal things that lighter weights may not.

You're not stopping at the top and bracing for each rep. You're also too vertical while trying to send your butt back so your back is going into slight over extension to neutral when you hit the bottom from what I can tell. Video's a bit blurry to be sure.

Get your chest up at the top and our elbows down. Breath and brace before each rep.

Okay thanks -- I will try to cue those in. You can certainly see my form "reveal" itself on the last 5 reps...

Programming is always an issue for me, 5x5 at 75%+ is just too damn heavy unless I am peaking.

Any thoughts on how to maintain? Reset?

Haha in other words, do the Texas method?

Quote Originally Posted by Uruz_Gym View Post
    Any thoughts on how to maintain?
    I have seen this expression several times in connection with lifting. I am still not sure what it means. Is it like maintaining the same weight on the bar for the lifts or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Uruz_Gym View Post
    Haha in other words, do the Texas method?
    Sure. Fine. Do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    I have seen this expression several times in connection with lifting. I am still not sure what it means. Is it like maintaining the same weight on the bar for the lifts or what?
    I work a physical job. I have been injured in the past. Sometimes you want to keep what you have built when you can't keep progressing every week.

Also there comes a point you can't use linear progression if your actually lifting heavy weights. What are you doing if you're not peaking and you can't keep adding weight?

That's why I asked for help. But I guess you have to read a bunch of books and join a cult to get some basic advice.

Yes, Uruz, some basic action on your part is required before you can be a member of our fucking "cult." Most people have to pay for coaching, but you are obviously entitled to determine what we type in response to your completely uninformed questions.

This pisses me off. Goodbye,

starting strength coach development program
    I just cancelled his cult robe and ceremonial dagger shipment. Also the cult discount card for chick fil a.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast