starting strength gym

Thread: bloody deadlift check

Default bloody deadlift check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Previous couple of deadlift checks are here.

This 140kg felt pretty good. I hope I've taken your advice on board. Had a bit of a fidget after rep 2, I'm afraid - I think the bar bounced sideways a little and I felt the need to readjust.

Nose started bleeding (again!) after rep 3 so I stopped, wiped the floor, stuck some paper up my nose, and finished the set. It's annoying. Maybe I'm valsalva-ing too hard, or maybe it's because it's hayfever season.

This happens to me when things are dry. My nose explodes. I'm not sure I've known anyone to valsalva "too hard". I think most people tend not to brace hard enough.

Your first two reps were your best. 3 and 5 you started rocking back just slightly and opening with the chest to break the bar off the ground instead of pushing the floor away. See your hips slightly drop and the bar moves forward a little as it breaks off the ground on 3 and 5?
    Carry on.

Thanks, Pete. I hadn't noticed the opening-with-the-chest thing. I'll watch out for that next week.

It is reassuring to know I'm not the only one with the exploding nose problem. Do you ever just let it bleed until the end of the set and deal with the mess afterwards? This was my last set of the day, and I was tempted to do just that - but then I thought a valsava with an already-bleeding nose might end up looking like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, so I didn't.

Did you recently get a Covid vaccine?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Did you recently get a Covid vaccine?
    25 May was my second AZ jab. My previous deadlift nosebleed happened the day before that, on the 24th. First jab was 13 March.

Ah.

My first valsalva nosebleed was in Feb 2020. I think I'm just susceptible to them.

starting strength coach development program
    That's probably it.