starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Help, ESP Bar placement and grip

Default Squat Form Help, ESP Bar placement and grip

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am a 5'7" Male 182lbs. Squat 125x5, Bench 92.5x5, Press 55x5 , Deadlift 142.5x5 & Clean 55x5 (all kg).
    All lifts are progressing well on NLP after a minor reset due to illness and a few days away. I have however had problems for about a month with the bar position in the squat and my wrists and grip. As seen in the video below the bar always seems to sit too far to the left and subsequently rise on my right hand side. I have also noticed excessive extension in my right wrist and that my right hand seems to want to sit very close to my shoulder whilst my left hand a couple of inches further out. I would appreciate any form advice but particularly any explanation for or remedies for my wrist issues as I am worried about tendonitis. Is my left or right hand in the proper position and how do I rectify this? I can obviously provide any further neccessary info.

Thanks

I would start by widening the grip to the point where you can unrack with straight wrists and keep them straight throughout the set. Try to get your head under the bar right in the center. If it shifts a little its usually not a big deal. Maybe you have some mild scoliosis? If so, this is generally not a problem unless accompanied by pain. Form looks ok from this angle but we would be able to see much more from a rear 45 as per the sticky. Time to buy a belt too

Thanks very much for the help, I am planning on getting a belt, haven't got around to it yet. I'll post another video from 45 tomorrow after training using your tips. I don't have any back pain that would indicate scoliosis just pain in wrists and forearms after re-racking which I assume is slight tendonitis.
    On the subject of bodyweight I have gained 5.5kilos since mid April and have recently cut milk from 4pints to 2 (UK pints 568ml) due to increasing belly fluff, however still gaining solid 1lb a week. What bw would you recommend I shoot for by the end of my NLP as a 5'7" 23 year old male, I reckon I'm probably at 20-22 % bodyfat using the US army bodyfat calculation method.

I would not shoot for a particular bodyweight. You just need to eat in a way that supports getting stronger.

You can also post in the Nutrition Forum if you have more questions

Thank you, I'll have a look there. I've posted links below to today's session, 127.5kg 1st set from behind to see the grip and then the third set from the rear 45 for general form. I've also added my last set of press and cleans @ 57.5 and 60kgs respectively, if anyone has any tips. From my initial analysis the wrist is getting better on squats but still needs more work to straighten. Cleans feel light as I havent been doing them long and am still adding 5kg per workout. Press was tougher, however got all my reps in.
    Thanks again
    Squat 127.5kg rear - YouTube
    Squat 127.5kg rear 45 - YouTube
    Press 57.5kg front 45 - YouTube
    Clean 60kg front 45 - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Squat grip looks the same to me. You are getting into your knees on these. Sit BACK and shove your knees out harder