starting strength gym

Thread: squat form check, falling forward

Default squat form check, falling forward

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, here (squat form check - YouTube) is the link to the work set. This is 300lbs, and me being a pussy, racked it after 4 reps instead of 5.
    The reason being, that the lift almost stops right after the bounce, and then I have to somehow grind up to the top.
    I think it might be due to the bar falling forward as I descend, which creates a much higher torque about my feet as I ascend out of the bounce.
    However, I am not sure why that is happening. I don't see a huge knee slide at least in the first three reps.
    Can you please help me with this?
    Thanks in advance!

You're not getting your knees forward early enough. Push your knees forward right away - they should be in their final horizontal position about half way down. The bar is going forward because your knees aren't in the right spot, so you're excessively bending at the hip early in the rep.

Even with that problem, you should have tried a fifth rep.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Thanks Andrew, I will cue myself with knees first while descending then? (Overcue to fix the problem I am assuming)

Also, will do the fifth rep next time.

Quote Originally Posted by beastraje View Post
    Thanks Andrew, I will cue myself with knees first while descending then? (Overcue to fix the problem I am assuming)
    Thinking about over correcting can definitely work, but make sure you videotape your set so that you're still bending at the hip too. You might accidentally try to do a front squat.

Also, will do the fifth rep next time.
    Yeah, go for it. You're not gonna die. Worst case, you set it on the pins and feel a little annoyed.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

squat form check - YouTube
    Here is today's workout, it is 305 this time, and I failed a rep first time in my life
    But, thanks for the observation! With the knees first cue, I think I see the bar moving faster than last time. It also felt better while squatting. However, the last one was similar to the last workout, knees probably stayed too back and I failed?

It looks like your knees still aren't getting forward early enough. You should try using a TUBOW on some warm up sets and see if that helps.

Also, you gave up on the last rep. You gotta push for at least five seconds, which in your head is going to feel like 20. Good job trying to do the rep though.

Thanks for the feedback! To confirm - the knees don't get forward early enough, or is it that they just aren't forward enough as well?

I do realise it looks like I set it up to fail in the video, but that honestly wasn't what I thought while squatting.
    It just happened so quickly, I thought I am gonna make the rep as I bounced, but then the legs somehow just went limp all of a sudden.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the feedback! To confirm - the knees don't get forward early enough, or is it that they just aren't forward enough as well?
    Both.