starting strength gym

Thread: squat form check

Default squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, SS community:

I have been working on shoving my knees out early, not letting them slide forward at the bottom, and using a grip with my thumbs on top of the bar. My last set of 3×5 squats is embedded below. (I rearranged my squat rack to film from behind so my post won't get schwacked.)

Brief description
    In the past, pain in my left biceps prompted me to use a grip with my thumbs under the bar while wearing wrist wraps. Gripping the bar with my thumbs on top feels much more stable, and I currently have no pain, but I am wary that it could creep back. Additionally, I have had issues with knee tendinopathy—also left side. (I realize these are very unspecific descriptions. I plan on searching the Managing Injuries Forum if they stay the same or get worse.) Both of these injuries, I judge, were due to improper biomechanics during the squat. So, I have been scouring the Technique Forum, per the encouragement of the "Required reading before posting" sticky, and have found this to be quite helpful. I made some adjustments to my form based on what I think an SSC would suggest, but I would value an expert's eye to critique my execution of the movement pattern.

PS I'm looking forward to the opening of SS Arlington, VA, and plan on making some road trips up there. That will be the closest gym to my residence in Durham, NC.

Your feet are a little wide - try a half inch narrower.

You're losing thoracic extension just a little on a few of these reps. Pick your pecs up prior to squatting, then get your knees out and bend over.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com