Thread: Press Form Check

Default Press Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Form check please.

Male, 30 yo 6'2" 225
    Pressing 180lbs, 3rd set

Please don't clown on me doing 3 reps, I failed the 5th rep on the 1st set and did 4 sets of 3 after that, since I don't have micro plates yet. In the future will stick with 5 reps and micro load.

Yes I know it isn't the best angle but it is the best I could get today without being 20 ft away. If not good enough will upload again with someone holding the camera next week.
    Fucked my shoulder up 3 or so weeks ago doing weighted dips, got better after a few days but only flares up doing presses now (no more dips). Bench (245) doesn't seem to bother it much. On the press the pain is mostly while holding the bar not pressing it, and it sticks around for at least a day afterwards.
    Wondering if my press is contributing to it or not. Been squatting every workout and have yet to be able to get good elbow positioning on that due to horrible shoulder mobility, so that is probably contributing but the weight is still relatively light (240) and when I squat and bench same day it isn't usually a problem. Phone died before I could record a video of the squat but that will come next week.

And yes I know I need to gain weight, gained 30 lbs since I started in April so I'm working on that.

If a kind soul could offer some feedback it would be appreciated, if not I will get someone to film me from the side next week.

Video link below.

20210618_183819.mp4 - Google Drive

Your wrists are bent back with your thumbs not around the bar. Get your thumbs around the bar and straighten your wrists so that your middle knuckle is up. Elbows could be a bit more in towards your body in the setup (tight armpits). Squeeze your abs and quads tighter before each rep.Be careful not to let the bar drop and your upper back round down when you do the hip reach. Finish each rep by pushing your chest through a bit to get the bar over your shoulders. Make sure you read this: The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe since you are failing reps.

Thanks, Hayden. Would not pushing my chest through potentially be the cause of the shoulder pain? I did 185 1x3 after my bench workout today (to hopefully help me hit x5 on press day Wednesday), and the shoulder flared up again pretty bad. I'll post updated form on my next press day.

The tightening of my quads/abs advice really helped - never even thought of my quads when doing the hip reach before, but it definitely gave the bar more of a bounce, so thanks.

I think question 2 was the issue, I was adding 5lbs per workout (sometimes even on bench day so 3x a week) up until 175 lbs, then it started to slow. I'm hoping the micro plates I just got will help me go up 2.5lbs at 5 reps for a while, but before that I was stuck doing 5x3, then 3x5 the following workout.

It's often hard to link technique to causes of pain, but they do link sometimes. The "push your chest through" is a cue to get the bar over your shoulders and thus not in front of them. If the bar stays in front of them you are expending energy resisting an unwanted moment arm at your shoulder joint. This could aggravate your shoulder, but either way it will make it harder for you to lift more weight over time.