starting strength gym

Thread: Rip - how is my hip drive? Squat form check

Default Rip - how is my hip drive? Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Please have a look at this.

I've seen 100s of videos and a few videos 100 times lol but I still can't figure if I'm doing it right... Am I just overthinking it or does this need serious corrections?

I think I got most of the things right (I hope), but not too sure about back angle and hip drive..

Lean over more. Send your ass back. You're squatting into your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    I don't really see forward knee travel but I do agree he should lean over more. In addition:

1 - Narrow the stance 1in on each side
    2 - get your wrists straight
    3 - buy a decent belt
    4 - Keep your eyes and chin down

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    So I suspected this. But I can't myself to change the form however hard I try.. I was able to achieve this better without the bar, but with any serious weight I end up doing what you see in the video..

Ryan - you've suggested some smaller tweaks which are all doable. But please tell me - am I close to a decent form or is it really bad? If it's really bad then I'm thinking of starting all the way from scratch, with very little weight and working back up... Somehow not able to change my form at heavy loads..

Other option is I continue doing what I'm doing and adding more weight..

This has gotten to my head quite a bit Nowadays, I spend my first hour at the gym just watching youtube videos from the SS channel and comparing it to my own videos and just feeling like shit about my squats lol.. Please help me get out of this hole - don't even have an SS coach in my country..

Just make the adjustments and keep adding weight. For leaning over - you can try slowing down the descent a little and think about trying to stretch your hamstrings as far as they can go. Think about pushing your butt back towards the wall behind you. Don't over think it. Just continue to make small changes and move along. Feel free to post another vid after

starting strength coach development program
    Ryan, your cues worked really well! Thank you so much for that, actually hadn't come across these specific cues before! But I think with heavier weights I'm unable to follow the same cues. Shot some more videos.

Please check out my warmup set where I think I did better.

Here's my heavy set.

I think mentally I wasn't able to follow the same cues with heavier weight - but please have a look and see what you think!

If you think my warmup set was much better I'm considering dropping the weight a bit and starting again because in the heavier sets I really don't have the control