starting strength gym

Thread: 120kg Squat Check

Default 120kg Squat Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

So I posted a 110kg squat check a few weeks ago.

Since then, I got to 118kg and had to reset.

Today I just about made a 120kg squat. The last set, in particular, was a real fucking grind. I wasn't feeling strong today and it was my third training session of the week, but going forward, I'm thinking of switching to the advanced novice, where I have a light squat day midweek.

Depending on feedback for this video, I'm thinking it could be the last squat video until I reach my medium-term goal of a 150kg squat.

The thing I noticed form-wise, is that I don't continue to look down when the reps are really tough (see rep 4 and 5). I seem to do this instinctively and it seems to help grind out those tough reps and probably prevents the bar from rolling forward. Not really sure if this is bad or neutral, but it seems to help.

The lower back could be tighter? Something that was commented on in the other thread.

Cheers

Your observations are good. I would add that you are looking extremely close to yourself on the ground. Try looking a couple feet further ahead. Also, you are initiating each rep with a slight bend at the hip, a pause, and then a bend of the knees (and more hips later). Try and smooth the initiation out with hips and knees bending together.