starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Link: Deadlift form check 7/7 - YouTube

22M 6'4" 200 lbs, pulling 245 for a working set of 5 here.

This set murdered my back but in a good way. Been dealing with some mean anterior pelvic tilt but I've noticed it's gotten a ton better since starting SS!

Almost 3 weeks into SS after doing a PPL split for a few years. Working on gaining weight, up from 130 lbs 4 years ago and still chugging along in that regard. Thanks for any help in advance!

You are losing upper back tightness by trying to jerk the bar off the floor. Don’t do that.

You need to squeeze your back into extension by lifting your chest as high as possible without dropping your hips.

Something that works for me: When you go to pull, don’t think about “pulling” on the bar. Think about getting your back as straight and tight as possible and then use the barbell as leverage to drive your heels into the floor.

Pull the “click” or “bend” out of the barbell, and then drive your heels into the floor.
    Last edited by Eric Schexnayder; 07-08-2021 at 05:32 PM.

Thanks for your feedback Eric. That lever analogy makes a lot of sense, will try thinking about that next time I deadlift. How did you notice I was losing upperback tightness in the video? Want to be as self-sufficient as possible in diagnosing problems with my form going forward.
    Last edited by geoffgaugler; 07-09-2021 at 01:25 PM. Reason: typo - meant "lever" but typed out "level"

Quote Originally Posted by geoffgaugler View Post
    Thanks for your feedback Eric. That lever analogy makes a lot of sense, will try thinking about that next time I deadlift. How did you notice I was losing upperback tightness in the video? Want to be as self-sufficient as possible in diagnosing problems with my form going forward.
    Comes with the territory of jerking the bar like you're doing. If there's enough slack for you to be able to do that then your upper back is not tight enough. Pull as much slack out of the bar + arm system as possible by lifting your chest without dropping your hips.

What Eric said about setting your back.

Also, make sure to film from the correct angle, per the sticky, for future form checks.

Don't take so much time between lifts. You should be able to lift the 5 in 30-40 seconds. You took almost 2 minutes. Don't release bar between lifts. The weight doesn't look that heavy for you.

Are you related to Rick Gaugler?

Pause the video at :20 seconds, and then again at :21 seconds. You will see your hips shoot up about 6 inches before the bar even moves, which tips you forward. Fix that and you will pull 405 within 3-months.

Thanks for the feedback Geronimo, didn't even notice that!

starting strength coach development program
    I've been doing a lot of genealogy research for my family recently actually and the name doesn't ring a bell, but there's a good chance we share the same ancestor who came over to the states in the 1700's. After googling him I wish I could say we are related, although if he/his family originally hails from PA there is a 99.9% chance we are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast