starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deadlift stuck. looking for reasons.

Default deadlift stuck. looking for reasons.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, I did not intend to post this to form check, I thought I was capable to see myself if it looks reasonable or not and certainly I was going to do fives.
    Quick background. I am 51, 220, 6'3" I did LP and finished it a year before lockdown. Wasn't stellar or anything. 375 1rm in 2019.
    They closed my gym for political power grab for 2 weeks that lasted forever. I became very untrained. I was doing all the things I am learning now from Rip I was not supposed to do. Running, lots of reps, air squats. I would have been better off watching tv and drinking I think. I see people standing in breadlines to go to the gym wearing masks in San Fransicko which I can't do. I don't see the end of it and thus I bought my own home gym.
    Decided to start LP again.
    2 weeks into it and got stuck lile a bug in the rug on 285Lb. Did not see it coming. Eat enough, Sleep enough. What gives? Wrong song? Again, sorry for the angle I wasn't planning on sending it. But I can't figure this one out. Maybe I am not capable of doing deadlift 3 times a week anymore. Last time I was given a pass not to bother with cleans as I was being old already and my fighting days are all behind me. Maybe it's time to do cleans again. Something needs to be done.

Youtube deadlift deadlift form check - YouTube

You're trying to deadlift heavy 3x/week at 51?

What do I do? I really need to get strong. I gather it's a bad idea. I identify as 30 I don't know if that helps. Rip I know your time is valuable but if you could spare a couple of more sentences to guide me in some direction. I am afraid to look at barbell prescription as I am not that old yet.

I am thinking very carefully about what you said here. Such a bummer. I already calculated everything in advance What do I do with this? Was the lift at least reasonable?

deadlift deadlift form check - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by therussianrocket View Post
    I am afraid to look at barbell prescription as I am not that old yet.
    Master your fear.

For what it's worth, I'm 60 y/o, 5'10", 220. I started the NLP for real in 2015 while still 55. I got my deadlift up to 365 by the end of the year. Halfway through the year, I stopped deadlifting every workout and switched to every other workout and tried to teach myself to power clean the other workout. My training was off and on for the next four years as I cared for my wife who developed a sarcoma. I quit training entirely for the last six months of her being in hospice and, when it was time to return to training all the gyms were closed and I had to scrounge my garage gym together. Simultaneously, I broke my left hand and had to heal that, then recuperate it to where I could hold the bar again. I restarted the NLP - not from scratch but from a reasonable point a little less than a year ago. I will deadlift 330 on Friday. I do not deadlift three days a week. I would never be able to sleep. I deadlift every other workout and, on weeks like this where that means twice a week, I take it easy on Monday and work on my grip by only lifting as much as I can hold with an overhand grip (which is 260 right now). Stop deadlifting every workout. If you aren't going to power clean on the other workout, then do barbell rows. And add 5 pounds.

What's wrong with the Barbell Prescription?

thanks Jim. Nothing is wrong with Barbell Prescription but it's mostly for people who are about to check out. I see pictures of very old people having to do leg press etc. I am not yet in that camp at all. I need something more rigorous. Rip wrote big books. I wish he was more generous here instead of short one sentence replies.

Quote Originally Posted by therussianrocket View Post
    thanks Jim. Nothing is wrong with Barbell Prescription but it's mostly for people who are about to check out. I see pictures of very old people having to do leg press etc. I am not yet in that camp at all. I need something more rigorous. Rip wrote big books. I wish he was more generous here instead of short one sentence replies.
    What on Earth are you talking about and what gave you the impression that the Barbell Prescription is "mostly for people who are about to check out"?

More generous? I'm not sure how you can look at the mountain of free material that's put out by the organization or the time spent by the coaches on this forum (that do it for free) and make that comment.

You haven't even read the fucking subtitle, let alone opened The Barbell Prescription and you want Rip to be more generous?

Good luck with your training.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    What on Earth are you talking about and what gave you the impression that the Barbell Prescription is "mostly for people who are about to check out"?

More generous? I'm not sure how you can look at the mountain of free material that's put out by the organization or the time spent by the coaches on this forum (that do it for free) and make that comment.
    Sorry man, nothing came out the way I was hoping to. I just taught someone how to squat to a chair without weights as exercise. I am hoping never to be in that situation. Heard Dr Sullivan on podcast promoting the book which I already bought and it was pretty much about rehabbing the elderly, at least the part I heard. I am not there yet. I don't study pregnancy for example in depth for same reason, does not apply.
    As for short sentences, yes, I am a bit frustrated trying to find answers. Plenty of free info that's true I just can't find my answers. Read the blue book again, will jump on practical programming asap. Problem is I missed some reps on deadlift way too early. 350 I would't mind but under 300? Didn't see it coming. Maybe I am circling the drain faster than I thought.

starting strength coach development program
    It doesn't make a whole load of sense that you are struggling with your 70% of your old DL PR when only two years have elapsed, running the same program. It also doesn't make sense that you are failing lifts 2 weeks into SS. Even with horrible nutrition, sleep, you name it, it shouldn't happen at this point.

I would do everything like you did two years ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast