starting strength gym

Thread: The rare bench form check

Default The rare bench form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

I've been a "grip-it-and-rip-it" guy on the bench press since starting NLP, but ready to be better than that. Sharing a set at 217.5lbs. Hope the angle is right. Would greatly appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks as always.

217.5 x 5 - YouTube

I'd like 5 min with whoever at Iron Grip designed their bars to have different markings and knurl distances than standard bars. It messes with everyone's bench grip.
    You could move your grip out about two fingers max, and touch a little higher on the chest. Otherwise, you're fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    I'd like 5 min with whoever at Iron Grip designed their bars to have different markings and knurl distances than standard bars. It messes with everyone's bench grip.
    Really appreciate you looking.

Would you kindly expand on the quote above? Asking because I also use those spacers to line up my squat grip, and sounds like I should re-evaluate?

The knurling and ring marks are non-standard, so when people go to train on those bars after using standard bars it screws up stuff like the press or bench grip.
    It's not as critical on the squat, because you have something standard to start, and just need to move your hands in as close as you can while keeping the wrists straight and getting a tight fit between the back and the bar.
    It's more just me bitching about their bars because I have clients that have to go between the two types, and it's just annoying.

You could move your grip out about two fingers max, and touch a little higher on the chest. Otherwise, you're fine.
    You'll have to get at them before I do, there will be nothing left to even bury. Half the bars in my gym are those fucking misbegotten things. The other half are olympic-marked and I ALWAYS use those because I don't fuck around with my grip positioning on any lift.

starting strength coach development program
    The knurling and ring marks are non-standard, so when people go to train on those bars after using standard bars it screws up stuff like the press or bench grip.
    It's not as critical on the squat, because you have something standard to start, and just need to move your hands in as close as you can while keeping the wrists straight and getting a tight fit between the back and the bar.
    It's more just me bitching about their bars because I have clients that have to go between the two types, and it's just annoying.
    Thanks for the added context. Unfortunately for me, these are the only bars I have ever used, so I’m just flat wrong.