starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check - hip drihve

Default Squat form check - hip drihve

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi SS forum!

I'm working on my hip drihve and also I'm trying not to stop the NLP. Can you tell me if I'm doing ok? Here's the last set of fihves of yesterday:

These look pretty good. You do need to lean over a touch more right from the start of the descent. In the bottom things sometimes get a bit wonky. Part of it is likely your "tubows." I'm not sure you need them at this point, but if you do, I would step back away from them an inch or two. It looks like in some reps your knees aren't getting quite forward enough and this might be because the tubow is telling you that you are close enough. I would address these first and then see what the ip drive is like. For the reps here were you could have a bit more hip drive, fixing these areas may take of it.

Thank you for your feedback!

Well, I don´t know if I still need the tubows, but here is my last set of fihves without them:

To me they look like the same, but with less horizontal back.

It´s starting to get real heavy for me and to keep form is geting harder as well. Is there something as too heavy? These slow ones are tough.. I´ll keep adding weight.

Doesn't look like you need the tubow. What I am seeing is your counteracting the lean a bit by arching your back. Brace your abs to keep your back flat. You are also not staying in your hips as much as you could (as alluded to in the first post). For this focus on driving up with your hips out of the bottom or not pulling your chest up. You can think "chest stays down until halfway up" as a cue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    Doesn't look like you need the tubow. What I am seeing is your counteracting the lean a bit by arching your back. Brace your abs to keep your back flat. You are also not staying in your hips as much as you could (as alluded to in the first post). For this focus on driving up with your hips out of the bottom or not pulling your chest up. You can think "chest stays down until halfway up" as a cue.
    wow!! I really appreciate your advice! I think you are correct, that´s quite an eye you have! When I tried what you said the reps looked (and felt) slightly better, although I´ll have to work on that to really understand it with my body.

This was yesterday´s session, and I'm still lacking tightness on the abs, but I guess this was the most hip dominant I could do (last rep was tough):

I´ll keep working on this while still adding weight. Thank you so much for your help Dr. Courtland!

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, definitely better. It's almost there. Keep at it.