starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dan from Jersey here.
    20 y/o male at 5’8” 188 BW
    Been doing a watered down version of SS since January this year and just recently I’ve been actually incorporting all the fundamentals.

Back pain on these squats, noticeable knee slide, and it looks like my bum shoots back instead of straight up on the ascent causing knees to track back.

Heels are 1” inch in height on these shoes. Belt is tight.

I understand that I’m still relatively underweight for my height, and I’m doing about 2 gallons of milk a day in attempt to hit 220. It’s been working pretty well so far.

Side Shot: SS Form Check Squat 225 Lbs @188 BW Side Shot - YouTube

Front Quarter: SS Form Check Squat 225 Lbs @188 BW Front Quarter Shot - YouTube

Rear Quarter:
    SS Form Check Squat 295 Lbs @188 BW Rear Quarter Shot - YouTube

My working weight is 295. First two videos are at 225 because that is when problems start to occur, and back pain becomes a thing. Regardless, I threw one in at 295 (rear quarter video) to help make things as productive as possible.

Would appreciate feedback.

Your stance is too wide. Move to your heels in to shoulder width. Look down on the ground the entire time, not straight ahead (and absolutely never at a mirror). Your lean is good, but you need to let your knees go forward right away too. Get them forward into place by halfway down. Finally, descend into the bottom a touch slower so you have a bit more control.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    Your stance is too wide. Move to your heels in to shoulder width. Look down on the ground the entire time, not straight ahead (and absolutely never at a mirror). Your lean is good, but you need to let your knees go forward right away too. Get them forward into place by halfway down. Finally, descend into the bottom a touch slower so you have a bit more control.
    Thanks for the feedback. When I look down as opposed to straight away, or at a mirror, I loose access to my hips. How do I navigate through this issue? Do I just need to practice it with lesser weights?

You can make it a gradual progression of looking down. A small amount every session. Note also that the looking down is not right in front of you. It is several feet out. It may also take some practice and attention to staying in your hips. You can start each session by drilling with just body weight as we do in the teaching progression.

SS Form Check Squat 185 LBS @201.8 BW - YouTube

Here’s a side shot of my squat after fixing head issue, and stance width. Are the knees too vertical? When I squat this way I get no knee slide.