starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Back pain when I finish these deadlifts below. They were taken a month apart, hence the bodyweight difference.

The pain occurs right above my bum, and I feel it a lot more when I hyperextend. When I flex/round my lower back the pain goes away, even when deadlifting a good percent of my working weight.

If this is a small hyperextension injury, would deadlifting even with proper form still cause pain? Or should it help it?

SS Form Check Deadlift 325 Lbs @172 BW Front Quarter Shot - YouTube

SS Form Check Deadlift 225 Lbs @190 BW Front Quarter Shot - YouTube

There are a few things going on here:

You are not quite getting your chest up above your hips and part of this is simply anthropometry(shorter arms, longer legs). The first set were stiff leg deadlifts(vertical shin angle) and you remedied it a little in the second set, but I think you still need a little more shin angle at the bottom. So make sure you are setting up with your shins one inch from the bar, not with the bar on your shins. Next, push your knees out more at the bottom during the setup. This should help you set your back better. Squeeze your chest up EXTRA hard. Show your nipples to the wall in front of you