starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi coaches.

I’m building back up following a back injury. I don’t think it was caused by lifting (instead, by jumping) but I got disk slips in L5 and L4, The pain from which I hope will get better through sensible training.
    I was up to 102kg in January on the squat.

Now I’m posting with 54kg after a starting again for a few weeks, from 30kg. Really trying to take it slow and controlled. Is it deep enough?

Squat 54kg 30/7/21 - YouTube

I feel it’s totally different if I really focus on form- pushing my butt back, bending over well and keeping the spine straight. Whereas (see below) my squat felt more natural without thinking, if that makes sense.

My previous form check at 80kg is here:
    Squat form check

Thanks in advance for your advice

You know it is not deep enough.

Cheers coach. I will work on that. I did think so. I used to go deeper but now it’s a mind thing, living with the injury.

I assume there’s nothing else to note formwise?
    Thanks

you better fix your grip before the weight gets heavy

Thank Jovan. How do you mean? I did have initially issues with the wrist hurting, so extended it is, due to shoulder flexibility I think.

And I could not do low bar.

I eventually dropped the bar position and the wrists no longer hurt. And have squatted heavier than this. as far as I can feel, it’s comfortable and held in place.

So, if you could elaborate, much appreciated

You are using a thumbs around grip with virtually no upper back extension, which means you are supporting the weight with your wrists, with severe wrist extension. Your wrists adn elbows don't hurt now, because you are using light weights. Once you hit something like 110 kg with a grip like this, the bar will, due to lack of upper back extension, start to roll up and down your back and you will have to hold it up with your hands. This will lead to elbow tendonitis which will make your wrist pain seem like a walk in the park. Read the chapter about the squat grip in the blue book and search the site for grip videos. You pretty much need to change your grip up completely. Your previous grip was much better, but still on the way to a severe case of tendonitis.

Howdy folks. Apologies for the long hiatus.

I’m rebuilding slowly as my back feels on the mend. Fingers crossed. Thread here.
    Sciatica?

I tried to fix grip. Doing the recommended stretching every workout.

Squat form check last set 67kg - YouTube

I still get an extended wrist, which is a bit uncomfortable but no more than that.

I suppose the elbows are high, but I cannot figure out exactly how to fix that. Been trying to narrow the hand position a little and that feels like it might help.

I hope the depth and rest of form is ok.

Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by Estevao Simoes View Post
    I still get an extended wrist, which is a bit uncomfortable but no more than that.
    This is only because the weight is light. Seems to me like you do not have a very good awareness of what your body is doing. I suggest you hire a professional.

You need to get your chest up. It looks like you're flexing your back just to hold the bar. You should also be able to stand more upright to get the bar out of the rack, you're looking too down.

starting strength coach development program
    Ok. Thanks guys. Have to rethink this