Squat form check Squat form check

starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar december 2021
    • starting strength seminar february 2022
    • starting strength seminar april 2022
    Hi coaches.

Iím building back up following a back injury. I donít think it was caused by lifting (instead, by jumping) but I got disk slips in L5 and L4, The pain from which I hope will get better through sensible training.
    I was up to 102kg in January on the squat.

Now Iím posting with 54kg after a starting again for a few weeks, from 30kg. Really trying to take it slow and controlled. Is it deep enough?

Squat 54kg 30/7/21 - YouTube

I feel itís totally different if I really focus on form- pushing my butt back, bending over well and keeping the spine straight. Whereas (see below) my squat felt more natural without thinking, if that makes sense.

My previous form check at 80kg is here:
    Squat form check

Thanks in advance for your advice

You know it is not deep enough.

Cheers coach. I will work on that. I did think so. I used to go deeper but now itís a mind thing, living with the injury.

I assume thereís nothing else to note formwise?
    Thanks

you better fix your grip before the weight gets heavy

Thank Jovan. How do you mean? I did have initially issues with the wrist hurting, so extended it is, due to shoulder flexibility I think.

And I could not do low bar.

I eventually dropped the bar position and the wrists no longer hurt. And have squatted heavier than this. as far as I can feel, itís comfortable and held in place.

So, if you could elaborate, much appreciated

starting strength coach development program
    You are using a thumbs around grip with virtually no upper back extension, which means you are supporting the weight with your wrists, with severe wrist extension. Your wrists adn elbows don't hurt now, because you are using light weights. Once you hit something like 110 kg with a grip like this, the bar will, due to lack of upper back extension, start to roll up and down your back and you will have to hold it up with your hands. This will lead to elbow tendonitis which will make your wrist pain seem like a walk in the park. Read the chapter about the squat grip in the blue book and search the site for grip videos. You pretty much need to change your grip up completely. Your previous grip was much better, but still on the way to a severe case of tendonitis.