starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat Grip Check & Throbbing Forearms

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Rip,

Thanks for the response.

Admittedly, in terms of the program, I skipped power cleans in favour of rows. And added dips and chins fairly early on, but otherwise have followed the program. I started with Bench first last time, because there was no way I was going to be able to do it after squatting. I do have the book.

In terms of grip technique on the squat, I originally started with a thumbs over grip, as detailed in the book; however, I started to get elbow and bicep issues (my original grip technique was likely wrong) and moved my grip wider with a thumbs around grip and the pain went away.

I managed to progress from around 80kg to 120kg without any pain with a thumbs over grip, but then started to get a little niggle in my forearm that has developed into something more sinister.

Whenever I try the recommended grip, I seem to end up in pain, probably because I just can't nail it down. The message I first posted in this thread details the extremely unpleasant experience.

Andrew Lewis replied stating I need to make my grip even narrower, so I was thinking of trying that tomorrow and posting a video, but I think the damage is done and even with correct form, my forearms are still going to hurt a lot.

Like I said, I signed up the the training camp in London, so I can't wait to get some in person coaching to help with this.

In the meantime, I wont be able to train with working sets of Bench. I tried. What would your recommendation be when it comes to training Bench in the meantime?

I guess you just do stuff that doesn't hurt. Presses.

starting strength coach development program
    The first thing you have to do with tendinitis is stop doing whatever is causing it. For most people, it's "fix the grip in the squat." You have to find a way to stop causing damage.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12