starting strength gym

Thread: 45 Degree Hyper Extensions - Question About Technique

Default 45 Degree Hyper Extensions - Question About Technique

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all. I'm a few months into the program. I have only the Starting Strength phone app, which does not discuss this exercise, and the Starting Strength in paper back is on the way via USPS; however, it is my understanding that the program calls for Hypers at some point. I understand that this is a glute exercise, but I am uncertain about what my lower back should be doing.

Specifically, am I to contract my lower back muscles near the hip line in the same manner my abdominal would straighten my torso in a situp? It seems I cannot complete the upward movement without at least some contraction here and I am experiencing lower back pain just above the iliac crest, near the spine, immediately following this exercise and for a time after. I'd appreciate any clarification. Thank you kindly.

I'm not sure what exercise you're talking about exactly. Where did you read this?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    I'm not sure what exercise you're talking about exactly. Where did you read this?
    Hi Coach. I am referring to this exercise, and pardon my lousy description.

I've heard for it through various second hand sources (reddit, blogs, and probably on these forums) describing Mark's material in the book (but not in the app). My understanding is that it's an accessory exercise that one might throw in a few weeks in to the novice program.

What are your lifts right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What are your lifts right now?
    A: squat, bench press, barbell rows (to substitute for cleans until I can find a coach I trust, there is to SS gym in Atlanta yet and, candidly, I dont trust myself to teach it to myself), chinups

B: squat, press, deadlift, back extensions

Thank you for your attention, Mark.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 08-02-2021 at 03:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Numbers?
    Sorry, I misunderstood.

Squat: 190 lbs
    Bench: 135 lbs
    Press: 92.5 lbs
    Deadlift: 220 lbs with bad form.
    Rows: 115
    Chinups (body weight)
    Back extension: 90 lbs with barbell, as shown by Jeff Nippard

Info to put those numbers in perspective:
    I am 5'3' and weight 140 lbs (starting at 132 lbs). I started untrained from a sedentary life. I progressed constantly but slowly in the first 2 months because I was trying to keep my weight the same and eating about 1600 calories per day, swimming, and/or high intensity interval runs daily, before I became more educated, got smarter and stopped doing all of those things. Now I eat something like 2500 calories per day and Im able to eat more each day than the last. Im am still learning everything: the program, form, and how to not be a pussy. Hopefully this info helps put my relatively slower progress in perspective.

It does. Forget the term "45-degree hyperextensions" until you have been training 3 more years.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Mark. I'll drop it like overly heavy deadlift.