starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift feedback

Default Deadlift feedback

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

Just posted some really rough squat videos and figured as long as my pride is already shot for the day, might as well follow-up with some bad deadlifts, too.

Having trouble setting my back prior to the pull. Feel pretty bunched up and unable to push my belly between my thighs, so wondering if I should perhaps widen my grip, knees, and feet a little to have some more space. It feels like I'm pulling hard to get my chest up and I can the the bar bending before the real pull begins, but my back stays rounded. The last two are especially rough, but I survived. This one at 415 lbs.

As always, thanks in advance for taking the time to review.

(33 y/0, 6'2", 235lbs)

You could widen your stance slightly. But it looks like you're not finishing getting the back set. It also looks like you're starting to pull with your arms when you go to lift your chest. The arms don't do anything except connect the bar to your shoulders. When you lift your chest to set your back, it should feel like the arms want to pull out of your shoulders. At the same time, drop your junk between your legs and point your taint at the wall behind you. Like you're trying to touch your ass to your shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    You could widen your stance slightly. But it looks like you're not finishing getting the back set. It also looks like you're starting to pull with your arms when you go to lift your chest. The arms don't do anything except connect the bar to your shoulders. When you lift your chest to set your back, it should feel like the arms want to pull out of your shoulders. At the same time, drop your junk between your legs and point your taint at the wall behind you. Like you're trying to touch your ass to your shoulders.
    Thank you, Pete. Looking forward to next time. The “arms want to pull out of your shoulders” bit is new to me, so I expect putting that into play will help a lot.