starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check follow up

Default Deadlift form check follow up

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I posted this form check about a month ago. I had a 2 hour session with an SSC (Rebecca Skinner) a few weeks ago which was incredibly helpful. She had me bring my deadlift weight down to 195 from 245 to focus on correcting form issues, namely jerking the bar off the floor.

Still 22 y/o and 6'4", around 207 lbs now.

Here I am a few days ago pulling 260: Deadlift form check 8/6 - YouTube my buddy started the recording too late and missed my setup so here's a recording of a warm up set of 185 for 3 reps the same day: Deadlift form check 8/6 - warm up set - YouTube

• It looks like my upper back is rounding slightly during the movement - is this a cause for concern? I have been focusing on maintaining thoracic extension through the movement but this still persists when I look at recordings of myself.
    • My last two deadlift sessions have killed me - I'm not sure if my expectations are just way off but they have been way worse than I expected - this was my first deadlift where I went up 5 lbs from my previous working set weight (I've been making 10 lb jumps without issue since correcting my form up until then) and they have been killer. I feel like I should be pulling more than I am at the moment/this weight shouldn't be as difficult as it is, but to be far SS, which I've been on for like a month and a half, has been my first time deadlifting, whereas I've squatted and benched before. I've been eating and sleeping sufficiently and have been taking long enough breaks between sets (although maybe need to take more time between my last rest set and working set for deadlifts? Want to hear y'all's thoughts). Again, not sure if my expectations are just way off or if my perceived brutality of my last few seats of deadlifts are indicative of some sort of form problem.

Thanks for your time!

Need to get your chest up more. Sometimes it helps to think about pushing your belly between your knees. Once DL gets heavy you need to switch to hook grip or mixed grip

Thanks for the feedback. I've been really focusing on this the past few workouts and am still noticing a slight bend in my upper back. Here's a video I took last week of a single pulling 195 - I know that's not the recommended angle to record from for the deadlift but I didn't have have anyone to record me that day. How does it look? If my chest is still too low/rounded, are there other changes I can make in things like stance width/foot angle/other aspects of set up that can help with this issue? I honestly don't think I can pull my chest up more than I have been doing the past few workouts but curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Hi Geoff,

1. You need to pull more than 1 rep for recorded sets.
    2. The bar is forward of your mid-foot.
    3. Your weight is too far forward.

You can get away with this on a light, non-maximal single. You won't be able to at heavier loads.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you for your feedback! I'm aware of all the rules on posting form videos, since the previous feedback was about one specific thing and I didn't have anyone to record me I figured the angle and single would be ok just to see if I was addressing that one specific issue.

That is really helpful, I've been focusing so much on my upper back rounding that I haven't been thinking about this sort of thing. Will address these issues today and maybe they'll help with my upper back rounding problem.