Thread: Squat form check 160 lbs

Default Squat form check 160 lbs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Height: 5 10
    Body weight: 200 lbs

Hi coaches

Im currently trying to run LP again. I ran my squat up to 250 last summer but gave up due to SI joint pain I couldnt sort out. I get it after I squat and only from squats, with discomfort occurring a few hours after training and becoming painful the next day. Ive discovered its much worse the deeper I squat, so Ive been trying to cut some depth while still staying below parallel. Ive watched the videos on lower back control and have done the drills in the book. The pain is on my left side, probably piriformis related. It hurts just above the butt cheek and can radiate to the top of my posterior thigh. Ive searched the forums and have tried lacrosse balls and stretches. They feel good in the moment but usually just make the pain much worse the next day. Two days after training the pain isnt as bad and allows me to train again. Before when my squats got higher, it became unbearable and I gave up. Ive read this could be chiropractic but Im not really sure what to ask for. Thought Id get a form check first.

Im also having trouble with my elbow position too. I reread the section in the book on grip and arms and have tried to get the grip as narrow as possible but it still seems too high. Am I not raising my chest enough? I also didnt realize until I filmed this from the rear quarter that I seem to have a bit of a lean to my right side, Im not sure whats causing that. I can get a video directly from the rear next training day if that helps. Perhaps all of these problems are interconnected.

Are these squats still trainable in the meantime?

Squat 160 # x5 set 2 of 3 - YouTube

Squat 160 # x5 set 3 of 3 - YouTube

Thanks!

You really need to level the camera. Can't tell depth.

How do these look? These are two sets from last week Monday. Third set was crooked so I didn't post it. I have the camera up against a wall so I'm having difficulty getting all of me in one shot. You can see my foot position in the first video and more of my grip in the second. I may have to film in portrait to get everything.

165 x 5 squat set 1 of 3 - YouTube

165 x 5 squat set 2 of 3 - YouTube

I noticed my right hand is in flexion and that elbow is carried much higher than the left. I tried a light day on Wednesday (back was hurting too) to fix my grip but it just kept going back into flexion.

I tried 165 again on Friday but had to stop after the second set due to back pain. I don't know if my lean was this bad on Monday or if it's more pronounced due to pain. I was going to get the 45 view or a portrait view on the third set, I'm going to try again tomorrow. You can see my lean and grip much better here.

165 lb squat x5 set 2 of 2 - YouTube

Thank you!

Stance is a little too wide, but depth is fine.

Thanks coach. I will try narrowing my stance.

Did my side lean seem excessive? Wondering if its trainable or if its something I should try and correct.

starting strength coach development program
    I can't see that in these videos.