starting strength gym

Thread: Squat - Form Check - 155 LBS

Default Squat - Form Check - 155 LBS

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Height: 6"
    Weight: 194 lbs

I did linear progression for 4 months, but my lower back started to bother me a bit. After 10 days resting, I'm resetting with lower weights.

I'm worried particularly about the lower back, as I get the feeling I'm not able to tighten it up and it's "wobbly".

This is a set of squats (3rd set) with 155 LBS (my max on linear progression was 200 lbs).

I apologize in advance for the angle, as I train in a small room and I can't set up the camera from a more rear angle.

The cracking on each rep is from my left knee (just started doing this a few months ago, no pain).

Thanks!

These look pretty solid overall. Given your age and SQ max before (when you had lower back pain/soreness), I am wondering what your DL numbers were like and whether or not you were eating enough?

Thanks a lot for the feedback coach.

The max I reached for DL on linear progression was 205 lbs, 1 set of 5. I've been eating around 4K calories per day (I've put on 20lbs since I started).

Thank you!

Bar path tips forward a little just like mine and i’m figuring it out in another thread. Are you able to keep the weight mid-foot when transitioning from the bottom? You need to take a huge breath and set your low back before each descent. Helped my low back at least.

Hey Roope,

I tend to have issues keeping the weight mid-foot (I rock forward unintentionally).

It's not totally clear to me how to set my lower back, as I understand it needs to be in normal extension but not overextended, as from what Rip says, overextension is the most dangerous position for the lower back. So I set it slightly (d*** between my knees, but not going all the way back)

This video from Nick explains what I mean

The squat has been a very difficult movement for me, although I keep working on it and I record every training session.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Roope View Post
    Bar path tips forward a little just like mine and i’m figuring it out in another thread. Are you able to keep the weight mid-foot when transitioning from the bottom? You need to take a huge breath and set your low back before each descent. Helped my low back at least.
    At these weights, he should not be trying to keep the bar midfoot. Read this if you're interested in learning more.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by J_Sark View Post
    Thanks a lot for the feedback coach.

The max I reached for DL on linear progression was 205 lbs, 1 set of 5. I've been eating around 4K calories per day (I've put on 20lbs since I started).

Thank you!
    This is very low for the DL. Any idea what was going on? Was your back bothering you in this lift too?

I'd say I'm just weak. I've been adding weight in slow increments too (2lbs per session).

I've recently started rowing on my off days (short 20 minute sessions), as I think part of the issue might be with conditioning too: I always deadlift as the last exercise, by the time it's deadlift time I'm, many times, exhausted already.

I don't believe I get any pain from my DL, although sometimes it's hard to say because I never get the pain while exercising.

I'm going to drop a video while we are talking about it, in case it's useful and feedback is always welcome:

Deadlift Video

And sorry for the angle with this one too, but it's the best I can do with the limited space I have.

Thanks a lot for the help.

starting strength coach development program
    From what I can see at this angle (which is limited), these look generally ok. I would squeeze slower, though and focus on not letting your hips drop as you squeeze. You also could use some practice holding your back squeeze as you pull. I would focus on your back extension with this lift and as it gets stronger it will carry over to the Squat. Most men don't have to worry about setting their back in over extension, so right now just practice getting in extension and fighting to hold it. It will be very uncomfortable at heavy weights, but the DL trains the mind to do things that are hard.

As an aside you are taking a ton of time resting between reps, though. Make sure your calories have enough protein and carbs and aren't incorporating too much fat. Also, be careful of the added conditioning you do and make sure you are sleeping enough.