starting strength gym

Thread: Weak squat - 29 years old, 2 months LP

Default Weak squat - 29 years old, 2 months LP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Starting Strength community,

I am so glad I've found your book and training programs. After years of wasted time training with kettlebells I am finally getting stronger.

I am writing this post because I have trouble improving my squat weight. Below are a few videos from my recent training. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

INFO:
    height ~ 6 feet
    weight ~ 194 lbs, 88kg (..i know, i know. Adult male weights at least 200 and I am trying to eat my way there)
    age ~ 29 years old
    time ~ 1st phase of LP for about 2 months consistently.

Squat 175 lbs

Problem
    It seems that the weight is on the heels and my hips shoot back, hence my lower back has to round to lift the weight. Here's another view from a different training day with slightly higher weight of 180.5. (Apologies for the shoes, I am in the process of buying a proper lifting shoe.)

Press 105 lbs

Deadlift 270.5 lbs

I am also rounding my lower back on deadlift.

Q:
    What are some obvious things that would improve my lower back problem?
    What should I do from programming perspective regarding the squat? (Perhaps lower the weight and relearn the movement?)

Thanks for your time.
    M

Your low back is not rounding, but you are 3 inches above parallel.

On your deadlift you're looking too low, you want to be looking at a point on the ground 10-15 feet in front of you the whole time. It's tough to factor that in when there's a wall right in front of you, I'd suggest deadlifting with the wall behind you to help with this.

You need shoes.

Hi, thanks for your comments.

I will definitely get good lifting shoes. Today I tried to correct some errors.

Squat 160 lbs, 3 x 5

- I deloaded the squat by 20 lbs and tried to slow down the descent to find the correct depth.
    - I had to deload the squat as I have prolonged low back pain after my session if I keep increasing the weight as prescribed

Benchpress 180 lbs, 3 x 5
    - no vid unfortunately

DL 275 lbs, 1 x 4

- upped DL by 5 lbs and tried to look forward more.
    - (btw that is not my spine but a lower back warming "shirt" underneath the shirt)

- I am able to increase my benchpress by 5 lbs every time but I fail to hit all the 5 reps on my deadlift.

From a programming perspective, how should I proceed?

Thanks for your time.

Check this video out for squat filming

The plates block the view in your video.
    Looks like you may still need to get deeper on the reps.

DL
    You must complete step 4 of the set up.
    Set your back into extension all the way down and set your eye gaze - as you do so keep your grip tight but your arms loose, they will straighten out as you lift your chest.

Work on making this happen before you allow yourself to leg drive the ground away to bring the bar up.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Johnston View Post
    DL
    You must complete step 4 of the set up.
    Set your back into extension all the way down and set your eye gaze - as you do so keep your grip tight but your arms loose, they will straighten out as you lift your chest.

Work on making this happen before you allow yourself to leg drive the ground away to bring the bar up.
    Thanks for the point. I've tried it today on the deadlift and found out it is hard to unlearn the bad lower back position.

squat

dl

~ lowered the weight from previous training by 20 lbs and tried to correct for the step 4 in the set up.
    ~ watched the video and found out i am still rounding my lower back.

~ lowered the weight again and tried to set the back correctly

I found I am still dragging the weight and this makes my back round. In one of your other comments I found that I should just try to stand up with the weight instead, everything in tension of course.

Thanks for help and all your tips.