starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Gentlemen,

I have been lifting for approx. two months now, and have been progressing well and adding weight without problems until 10 days ago when my squat lift went above 235 lb, my quads, especially the area right above the knee and the upper sides of the knee seemed to begin to flare up and feel painful during the squat. After the exercise it was not painful except when working that muscle while standing after sitting for example. I took 4 days rest, felt good, and returned to squatting same weight but the problem was back. This led me to believe my squat form was not good enough, so I did some review of my form (more shoving of the knees out, etc.) and reset the weight to 200 lb and started progressing slower again. So far no big issues, but I would like your opinion on my form and what I could do to improve it, and thoughts on the above issue. I am fearful that problem may re-appear once the weight increases.

Starting Bodyweight is 84 kg, current weight is 89 kg. height is 179 cm.

IMG_4858

Thank you in advance.

Why are you high bar squatting? Why have you only gained 5kg in two months?

Fair-ish high bar squats.

Bad video.

Mohammed, use this video to review positioning of the bar on your back.

Then on your next session (with the bar in the low bar position) get used to shoving your knees out over your toes and holding them firmly in place whilst you sit back into the squat and get leaned over.

Stay tight to prevent your knees sliding forwards as you approach the bottom of the squat.

You can bring your hands closer in the high bar squat, it will make the traps contract more and take the weight better.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you all for your valuable comments.
    I will be doing low bar squats in my coming workouts, as well as implementing your other notes.