starting strength gym

Thread: Training Day 5 - Squat and Deadlift Form Checks

Default Training Day 5 - Squat and Deadlift Form Checks

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Today is my fifth day of training as a novice. I've been taking videos in an attempt to self-correct, but need some better trained eyes to view my technique. On my first day, my squat was 60 kg and my deadlift was 70 kg. Today, they were 80 kg and 100 kg, respectively. I want to apologize in advance for the brightness of the windows in the background. There are machines blocking the angle on the other side, but, notwithstanding this, I'll try to take videos over there the next time.

Squat: Training Day 5 - Squat Form Check (80 kg) - YouTube
    Deadlift: Training Day 5 - Deadlift Form Check (100 kg) - YouTube

I appreciate any and all comments or suggestions.

SQ: A slightly narrower stance may be more comfortable. Work on getting a narrower grip on the bar over time if you can. Let your knees go forward more and get them settled (roughly over your toes) by halfway down. The reaching back with your butt in the bottom should be to just keep your knees from sliding forward in the bottom, not pulling them backwards; the pulling backwards here is taking you off balance behind mid foot. Looks like you also could have a bit more abdominal tightness on the way up (keep your back flat).

DL: You need to fix your setup. Have your elbows pointing out to the sides and get your knees forward more so they are flush with the front of your arms. Your shins should be angled forward slightly. This will have the bar over mid foot (instead of behind which is where it is now). Then use a knees back / push the floor away to initiate the pull (chest and hips should rise together initially).

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    SQ: A slightly narrower stance may be more comfortable. Work on getting a narrower grip on the bar over time if you can. Let your knees go forward more and get them settled (roughly over your toes) by halfway down. The reaching back with your butt in the bottom should be to just keep your knees from sliding forward in the bottom, not pulling them backwards; the pulling backwards here is taking you off balance behind mid foot. Looks like you also could have a bit more abdominal tightness on the way up (keep your back flat).

DL: You need to fix your setup. Have your elbows pointing out to the sides and get your knees forward more so they are flush with the front of your arms. Your shins should be angled forward slightly. This will have the bar over mid foot (instead of behind which is where it is now). Then use a knees back / push the floor away to initiate the pull (chest and hips should rise together initially).
    I took your suggestions and worked on them during the months of July and August. I appreciate your feedback.

End of August Form Check

Squat
    I narrowed my stance and grip, let my knees go forward more and settle halfway down, reduced reaching back with my butt at the bottom, and worked on keeping my abdominals tight. I seem to have made an over-correction in terms of my stance, as I made it too narrow. I also began squatting too low, which I will work to correct during the month of September. Also, it has been recommended that I get a belt.

Deadlift
    I worked on my setup by pointing my elbows out to the sides and getting my knees more flush with my arms. I am not sure if I brought my knees forward enough, nor if I angled my shins correctly. I am still having trouble keeping the bar over the middle of my foot, but will continue to work to correct it.