• starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks in advance to any coach!

H: 5'4
    W: 191 lbs
    SQ: Intensity 340x5 (set)x1(rep)
    DL: Intensity 385x1(rep)
    Press: 140x5x1 [Following Nick Delgadillo compressed TM]
    BP: 205x2(set)x1(rep) [doing my own thing here]

Apologies for last squat form check I submitted, it was incorrect format. I have recorded 2 angles this time.

5x5 - 4th set - 270 lbs - YouTube
    *4th set of 5x5

5x5 - 5th set - 270 - YouTube
    *Last set of 5x5

My own thoughts, is that my knees dont stay in one place through the reps. They end up where they supposed to at the bottom (in my opinion), but i cant seem to set them there from the very beginning.

Fix your grip and keep the bar tight on your back. It rolls so far up your back that you lean over too much and will likely clear up most of your problems. So before you unrack it, squeeze your shoulder blades together and bring your grip in as close as you can. Then maintain that tightness throughout. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by gregherman115@yahoo.com View Post
    Fix your grip and keep the bar tight on your back. It rolls so far up your back that you lean over too much and will likely clear up most of your problems. So before you unrack it, squeeze your shoulder blades together and bring your grip in as close as you can. Then maintain that tightness throughout. Hope this helps.
    I don't see the bar rolling up his back; we might want to ask the OP if that's what's happening. I do think his upper back needs more tightness; there's definite "over the top" going on. Grip can definitely come in more.

What I do see is a pronounced step in back angle between the outset of the movement and about 2/3 of the way through. OP, you have to lean over at the start of the movement, not as you approach the bottom. You descent effectively vertically and then decide to lean over. Just lean over.

Hey Jahir,

Aspiring SSC here piggybacking off of Greg's post...Take this for what it's worth:

1- As already stated, try narrowing your grip + get the bar down in your hands a little more to help secure it. Your right wrist is pretty much draped over the top of the bar.

2- In conjunction with #1, your upper back needs to be far tighter. The tight squeeze Greg mentioned will create a shelf for the bar to stay on.

3- You're pushing your hips back before getting your knees set all the way. It may help you to think "knees 1st" to get that corrected.

4- Look at what your chest does as you get to the bottom. You're letting it drop. A consequence of you're grip not being secure enough + lack of tightness in your upper back. I have the same problem and it creeps up if I don't make a concious effort to not let it happen. Get your back angle set immediately as you start your descent. The angle of your torso relative to the floor should be established by 1/2 to 1/3 of the way down then it needs to stay there the rest of the way down and as you hip drive out of the hole.

Hope this is helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by DJLOVAT View Post
    Hey Jahir,

Aspiring SSC here piggybacking off of Greg's post...Take this for what it's worth:

1- As already stated, try narrowing your grip + get the bar down in your hands a little more to help secure it. Your right wrist is pretty much draped over the top of the bar.

2- In conjunction with #1, your upper back needs to be far tighter. The tight squeeze Greg mentioned will create a shelf for the bar to stay on.

3- You're pushing your hips back before getting your knees set all the way. It may help you to think "knees 1st" to get that corrected.

4- Look at what your chest does as you get to the bottom. You're letting it drop. A consequence of you're grip not being secure enough + lack of tightness in your upper back. I have the same problem and it creeps up if I don't make a concious effort to not let it happen. Get your back angle set immediately as you start your descent. The angle of your torso relative to the floor should be established by 1/2 to 1/3 of the way down then it needs to stay there the rest of the way down and as you hip drive out of the hole.

Hope this is helpful!

Thanks for the tips DJLOVAT, Satch12879 and Greg Herman. I will applying those on my light day which is 5 reps too and see how it looks. I also recently bought the B&R bar which should help me since the previous bar I had was a really really old one and the sleeves were coming off and did not even turn as it looks like it has no bushing, horrible I know.

Quote Originally Posted by DJLOVAT View Post
    Hey Jahir,

Hope this is helpful!
    Ok, how about now? Just to clarify this videos are of my light day, volume day did not have 5 reps for me this week.

Light day - 200 lbs - YouTube
    1st set of 5 at 200

2nd set Light day 200 lbs - YouTube
    2nd set of 5 at 200

Thanks!

Hey Jahir,

There's still some work to do on getting you knees forwards more.

Next session when you go to warm up, stretch down into the squat (without the bar).
    Shove your knees out over your toes with your elbows and **take note of far forward your knees are positioned when you squat to depth doing this.
    This is the target for your knees as you squat down with the bar.

On adding the barbell: work on letting your knees come out and forwards in line with and over your toes just as in the above position.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Johnston View Post
    Hey Jahir,

There's still some work to do on getting you knees forwards more.

Next session when you go to warm up, stretch down into the squat (without the bar).
    Shove your knees out over your toes with your elbows and **take note of far forward your knees are positioned when you squat to depth doing this.
    This is the target for your knees as you squat down with the bar.

On adding the barbell: work on letting your knees come out and forwards in line with and over your toes just as in the above position.
    Alright, Light day came back around and here is the set with the above quoted in mind. I did notice I had to widen my leg stance and also have my toes pointed out more. I can see on these, comparing it with the past videos that my knees finally seem to settle early and stay there. Hopefully this does it.

Light day - 205 lbs - YouTube

2nd set 205 Light day - YouTube

Thanks!