starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check - 'Good Morning'-ish Squats?

Default Squat Form Check - 'Good Morning'-ish Squats?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Hello,

About myself:
    Height: 1.73m
    Weight: 75-76kg

100kg:

1) Do these look like 'good morning' squats? Are my hips rising too fast?
    2) My low back seems to be rounding in the hole ('butt wink'). Is this a problem if I don't feel any pain (yet)?
    3) Is it normal for the last couple of reps to look more like a good morning as one tries to grind through the sticking point?

95kg:

4) I thought the issue in 1) was due to extending my knees too early. Hence, I dropped the weight and added a 'keep the knees forward' cue in addition to 'drive your hips up'. Correct me if I'm wrong - the form doesn't look better than when the weights were heavier.

Any additional feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Lock

It's your classic mistakes. You are not leaning over, so you are performing high bar squat with the bar in the low bar position. Lean over straight away, send your hips back, point the nipples to the floor and keep them pointed at the floor until your back straightens.

Hi Lock,

Agreed with Jovan's comments.
    Try to get your mind off your knees, and onto getting leaned over (nipples to the ground) early on in the descent.
    You can also try the cue: Bring your belly down to your thighs.

Could bar be placed lower, that would probably fix all those issues automatically.

Jovan & Byron, thanks for your feedback.

100kg:

I tried to lean over but doing so worsened my balance; I felt I was going to tip forward. Consequently, I started to struggle during the second rep.

Correct me if I'm wrong:
    Provided the bar is positioned correctly on my back, what's most important as I descend is to ensure the weight is on mid-foot, i.e. keep my balance. The back angle will take care of itself, and will vary according to individuals. People (like me) with relatively short femurs are going to exhibit a more upright-looking position.

Get your chest up and pull your hands together. You feel out of balance because your thoracic spine is in flexion. See here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6tCpmCAidq

This makes actually leaning over, which you aren't doing, difficult and unstable because it shifts the location of the bar over midfoot as you proceed through the movement.

starting strength coach development program
    What Satch said.