starting strength gym

Thread: Posterior tilt and deadlift

Default Posterior tilt and deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been trying to get back into weight lifting after a more-or-less 10 year hiatus. I used to deadlift 330lb and didn't have any issues with back pain.

Somehow I have gotten into my head that I should be really thrusting my hips in my deadlift --- I even squeeze my glutes at the top and do a posterior pelvic tilt so my butt is tucked underneath my torso. But I'm really going to town with this part so maybe I'm over-extending?

Now I'm experiencing some (very mild, but definitely annoying) tingling raidiating from my tailbone/ass. It's not like the discomfort I get from doing roman chair hip extensions, but way lower. It's uncomfortable when I sit or lie down on my back.

I need to go back and re-read the deadlift chapter of Starting Strength, which I expected to do anyway, but I'm not seeing any emphasis on "You need to squeeze your glutes at the top and get your ass in." In Figure 4-44, 2nd edition (second revision), it just looks like the lifter is straightening up at the top. So should I cue that way? "Just straighten up" rather than "Thrust your hips forward and squeeze that ass."

I also found this link, but they seem to be more worried about hyperextending the lower back at the top and they do recommend cueing a posterior pelvic tilt... But who the hell knows with "shape.com"...

I will take a week or two off to see if the tailbone sensations go away --- I don't want to skip workouts, but I just started trying to re-learn sitting posture (after years of neglecting the hell out of it) and I want to confirm it's lifting and not a sign I have more work to do on re-learning how to sit. After that, I can upload some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by rivers68 View Post
    Somehow I have gotten into my head that I should be really thrusting my hips in my deadlift --- I even squeeze my glutes at the top and do a posterior pelvic tilt so my butt is tucked underneath my torso. But I'm really going to town with this part so maybe I'm over-extending?

. . . .

I need to go back and re-read the deadlift chapter of Starting Strength, which I expected to do anyway, but I'm not seeing any emphasis on "You need to squeeze your glutes at the top and get your ass in." In Figure 4-44, 2nd edition (second revision), it just looks like the lifter is straightening up at the top. So should I cue that way? "Just straighten up" rather than "Thrust your hips forward and squeeze that ass."
    The most recent edition, in the appropriately named section "Finishing the Lift", cautions not to "exaggerate the hip-extension part of the lockout", and Figure 4-45 shows what to do and what not to do (Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training (3d ed.), p. 138).

In other words, no posterior tilt, and nothing should be tucked underneath or thrusted.

Squeezing glutes should be part of the setup, and tight glutes are a feature of the entire lift--not just when you get to the top. In my setup, it's the last thing I do, and it's made a big difference for me. As the book mentions, you should be "squeezing your hamstrings and glutes tight before you pull" (Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training (3d ed.), p. 131).

Here is Coach Rippetoe going through the deadlift in a 4 minute video!

The Deadlift in 5 Steps | Mark Rippetoe