starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    5'7" 190lbs
    130 kg x5 Squat NLP 3rd Set.
    Just a general form check, only issue I've noticed is a tendency for me to bend my right wrist, I've been working on this for months with only a slight improvement, however it doesn't seem to be causing any major issues atm. I was wondering if wrist wraps would be a good idea/neccessary and if so any recommendations?
    I was suffering from arm tendonitis however 5 workouts in to the 'chin-up method' this seems to have abated greatly.
    Any further feedback would be greatly appreciated.

20 September 2021 - YouTube

Your right wrist needs some work, probably needs to go out a finger width or so, so that you can straighten your wrist and let the weight sit in the palm. As for everything else, you are burying the shit out of these squats. So cut it off a little bit, bring your gaze up a touch, and lean over more. Hope this helps.

Hi J,

I'm an aspiring SSC so you can take or leave my advice here.

I'd worry less about the wrist / elbow issues and work on the following:

1- Move your gaze point out a bit.
    2- Lean over more and sooner.
    3- Get your knees set early in the descent and keep them there. You're allowing them to travel too far forward (Your stance might be a little narrow, can't tell) At the same time, you need to reach back with your hips much more than you are now.

You're simply looking straight down and keeping your torso vertical at the same time. As a result, your knees and hips are moving too far forward and the bar + you are getting pushed that way as well. Look at your feet when you hit the bottom and start to rise. Notice anything with your heels?

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Herman View Post
    Your right wrist needs some work, probably needs to go out a finger width or so, so that you can straighten your wrist and let the weight sit in the palm. As for everything else, you are burying the shit out of these squats. So cut it off a little bit, bring your gaze up a touch, and lean over more. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the help Greg, you're definitely right about the grip, I think a finger further out should probably do it. I think I have an assymetrical mobility issue as the left side seems fine.

As for the depth I agree my gaze needs to go forward a tad to keep my neck and back alligned however my depth doesn't seem too bad to me, when I pause the video at teh bottom the top of my kneecap seems to be not too far below the crease of my hip, would be interested in another posters opinion on this as I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DJLOVAT View Post
    Hi J,

I'm an aspiring SSC so you can take or leave my advice here.

I'd worry less about the wrist / elbow issues and work on the following:

1- Move your gaze point out a bit.
    2- Lean over more and sooner.
    3- Get your knees set early in the descent and keep them there. You're allowing them to travel too far forward (Your stance might be a little narrow, can't tell) At the same time, you need to reach back with your hips much more than you are now.

You're simply looking straight down and keeping your torso vertical at the same time. As a result, your knees and hips are moving too far forward and the bar + you are getting pushed that way as well. Look at your feet when you hit the bottom and start to rise. Notice anything with your heels?

Hope this helps!
    Thanks DJ, good luck in your Coaching training.
    I agree with everything you've said, especially about my heels, I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. I am confused about 'setting my knees' though what does this mean exactly? Does it mean to make the end of the squat and start of the descent solely with my hips, i.e. not moving the knees (except clsing and opening) at all in the middle half of the movement?

P.S. Any thoughts on my bar placement? I have had a number of issues getting the bar in the right place on my back and wondered if it looks like it is correctly positioned and solid on my back, many thanks.

Hi James,

The bar does looked to be placed in the correct position.
    When in doubt squeeze your shoulder blades together and slide up against the bar until it catches on the shelf of muscle you create.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JMaunder View Post
    I am confused about 'setting my knees' though what does this mean exactly? Does it mean to make the end of the squat and start of the descent solely with my hips, i.e. not moving the knees (except clsing and opening) at all in the middle half of the movement?
    He meant this: