starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to do make up sets or not to do

Default to do make up sets or not to do

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    When you approach the end of LP and start missing reps. Should you do an extra set to make up for the misses so that total volume would be 15 reps?
    Example. your last set of squats you got squashed on last rep. You only were able to do 4. Shall you rest a minute or two and do one more rep or
    forget it and try the same weight next time?
    Please don't chime in if you are not an SS coach. I also have all sorts of opinions on all sorts of subjects but this is for Rip or the next qualified coach

Quote Originally Posted by therussianrocket View Post
    Please don't chime in if you are not an SS coach. I also have all sorts of opinions on all sorts of subjects but this is for Rip or the next qualified coach
    Email me for a consult, and we'll do a phone call. It'll cost $100/hr.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Could also join The Network™

Quote Originally Posted by therussianrocket View Post
    When you approach the end of LP and start missing reps. Should you do an extra set to make up for the misses so that total volume would be 15 reps?
    Example. your last set of squats you got squashed on last rep. You only were able to do 4. Shall you rest a minute or two and do one more rep or
    forget it and try the same weight next time?

Everything changes yet stays the same: two years ago someone on here only wanted feedback from those who had gotten their squats above 350lbs.

Russian, why the hell would you only rest 1-2 minutes on a third set heavy enough that it squashed you at 4 reps? Rip's article on the Three Questions clearly states that increased rest time between sets is a tool that can be utilized to extend the NLP further if you start getting stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post

Russian, why the hell would you only rest 1-2 minutes on a third set heavy enough that it squashed you at 4 reps?
    Because he only intended to do the 1 rep he missed?

Quote Originally Posted by MrTambourineMan View Post
    Because he only intended to do the 1 rep he missed?
    If he's failing a set of four, he's going to need the whole rest period.

Get the book. (The grey).

If you hadn't disqualified a bunch of people from responding, I'm sure you would have gotten a lot of posters willing to share what they learned when they read the grey (and blue) book.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    If he's failing a set of four, he's going to need the whole rest period.
    So he should wait ten minutes to do the one rep he could have done with a 2 minute rest or less.

starting strength coach development program
    So let me get this straight - you're using a free service where coaches willingly give up their time to help but you're demanding only a particular person responds to you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast