to do make up sets or not to do to do make up sets or not to do

starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: to do make up sets or not to do

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    45

    Default to do make up sets or not to do

    • starting strength seminar december 2021
    • starting strength seminar february 2022
    • starting strength seminar april 2022
    When you approach the end of LP and start missing reps. Should you do an extra set to make up for the misses so that total volume would be 15 reps?
    Example. your last set of squats you got squashed on last rep. You only were able to do 4. Shall you rest a minute or two and do one more rep or
    forget it and try the same weight next time?
    Please don't chime in if you are not an SS coach. I also have all sorts of opinions on all sorts of subjects but this is for Rip or the next qualified coach

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    1,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by therussianrocket View Post
    Please don't chime in if you are not an SS coach. I also have all sorts of opinions on all sorts of subjects but this is for Rip or the next qualified coach
    Email me for a consult, and we'll do a phone call. It'll cost $100/hr.
    Sign up for the SS Indianapolis early-interest list for exclusive content.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com
    Until Starting Strength Indianapolis is open, I'll still be coaching out of my Ohio gym: BlackmetalStrengthTraining

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,427

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by therussianrocket View Post
    When you approach the end of LP and start missing reps. Should you do an extra set to make up for the misses so that total volume would be 15 reps?
    Example. your last set of squats you got squashed on last rep. You only were able to do 4. Shall you rest a minute or two and do one more rep or
    forget it and try the same weight next time?
    Please don't chime in if you are not an SS coach. I also have all sorts of opinions on all sorts of subjects but this is for Rip or the next qualified coach

    Everything changes yet stays the same: two years ago someone on here only wanted feedback from those who had gotten their squats above 350lbs.

    Russian, why the hell would you only rest 1-2 minutes on a third set heavy enough that it squashed you at 4 reps? Rip's article on the Three Questions clearly states that increased rest time between sets is a tool that can be utilized to extend the NLP further if you start getting stuck.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post

    Russian, why the hell would you only rest 1-2 minutes on a third set heavy enough that it squashed you at 4 reps?
    Because he only intended to do the 1 rep he missed?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Garage of GainzZz
    Posts
    2,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTambourineMan View Post
    Because he only intended to do the 1 rep he missed?
    If he's failing a set of four, he's going to need the whole rest period.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Get the book. (The grey).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    177

    Default

    If you hadn't disqualified a bunch of people from responding, I'm sure you would have gotten a lot of posters willing to share what they learned when they read the grey (and blue) book.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    If he's failing a set of four, he's going to need the whole rest period.
    So he should wait ten minutes to do the one rep he could have done with a 2 minute rest or less.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    17

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    So let me get this straight - you're using a free service where coaches willingly give up their time to help but you're demanding only a particular person responds to you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •