starting strength gym

Thread: New bench grip check

Default New bench grip check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Note: The angle is as close to the sticky recommendation I could get - should be able to film from further back next time if no one is on the deadlift platform.

Just decided to end my LP and do the first reset on my bench from 270 3x5 down to 245 3x5. Been hitting 5/2.5lbs+ pretty consistently for 6+ months until the past few sessions, not sure if just at the end of my LP potential or if some bicep tendon issues are the primary reason I missed.

My shoulders and bicep tendons have been giving me hell.

Been doing the chin-up protocol (and I think it is working) but I decided to try to move my grip in closer and tuck my elbows as much as I can as it still it very painful to bench - made a HUGE difference.

It is obviously a little shaky due to the new muscle recruitment and movement pattern, and I missed the groove/bar path on rep 2. Also apparently my wrist has slipped into extension a bit it seems, never noticed it until filming my bench for the first time in months.

Anything else I am missing or need to work on? My goal is to run this grip width for a month or so and then re-evaluate moving back to my standard grip (pinky fingers on the rings).

Healing my shoulders/tendons while adding pounds to the bar is my biggest goal currently.

Male 30 yo 6'1" 245lbs.

245x5 bench close grip - YouTube

Grip needs to be an inch wider.

What does your squat look like?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Grip needs to be an inch wider.

What does your squat look like?
    That is where it typically is (pinky on rings) but getting painful enough I am regressing a little.

I'm more concerned with making the closer grip work as well is possible for the next month or so until I can get back to my normal grip - unless you all don't think that will make a difference on the bicep tendon/shoulder recovery.

My squat is what caused the issues in the first place, can't even get into proper LBBS position and worked on that for months before the pain got too bad and I switched to a SSB for now. Next SS squat seminar nearby I will attend and start to work back towards a LBBS but not for now (already addressed the squat side of things in a previous thread).

Or maybe I am just off base for switching my grip up an inch - it does eliminate the shoulder/tendon pain though.

I think that any work you can get in while elbows are healing is a good thing. You've address the root cause (in an indirect way), so if you need to take a narrower grip on the bench to keep benching while your elbows recover, do what you gotta do. I don't think it'll affect your elbow recovery, but if it just doesn't hurt as much, that might be a good reason to narrow the grip.

What's going on with your shoulder? Is that getting better?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    I think that any work you can get in while elbows are healing is a good thing. You've address the root cause (in an indirect way), so if you need to take a narrower grip on the bench to keep benching while your elbows recover, do what you gotta do. I don't think it'll affect your elbow recovery, but if it just doesn't hurt as much, that might be a good reason to narrow the grip.

What's going on with your shoulder? Is that getting better?
    Pretty sure it is tendonitis, at least I hope so. I probably have some sort of arthritic/bone spur issue as well, as the best approximation I can do of the correct LBBS position flares the shoulder up (especially the left one) like nobodies business. Did it for months, never got better, it just sidelined pressing movements for a week as the weight got heavier, so I decided to switch to a SSB and have progressed well on that so far.

Pressing is uncomfortable but not bad, and mostly just in the bicep tendon when I unrack the bar. But bench press (before the closer grip) hurts my left shoulder to the bone once it gets heavy, hopefully it's just the tendon but I guess I'll find out after a few more weeks of high volume chin ups.