Deadlift Form Check Deadlift Form Check

starting strength gym
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    15

    Default Deadlift Form Check

    • starting strength seminar december 2021
    • starting strength seminar february 2022
    • starting strength seminar april 2022
    Not sure why my last post didn't show up. Trying again.

    Deadlift - 265 Pounds.

    Initial guess is that my hips are moving too much and actually dropping right before I pull the weight off the floor.
    Likewise, I probably need to hook grip or use chalk (note me wiping my hands multiple times).
    Thanks in advance for feedback.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,424

    Default

    Need to shoot the reverse of this angle next time. Or just face the other way it would've been perfect.

    You're setting up too close to the bar initially. See how far forward of the bar your shoulders are and how vertical your shins are when they touch the bar? Back up from the bar about a quarter inch from where you're setting up now, then make sure you're on midfoot though the entire setup process.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Need to shoot the reverse of this angle next time. Or just face the other way it would've been perfect.
    Will do. Thanks for the feedback on that.

    You're setting up too close to the bar initially. See how far forward of the bar your shoulders are and how vertical your shins are when they touch the bar? Back up from the bar about a quarter inch from where you're setting up now, then make sure you're on midfoot though the entire setup process.
    Help me unpack this one a little bit. It sounds like the purpose of moving back a quarter inch is to close the hip angle and the knee angle (which would happen if I moved back a bit). Would this then pull my shoulders back to be directly over the bar? Likewise, how does that impact lifting performance?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    181

    Default

    You want to keep your hands on the bar for the whole set--otherwise, somebody will tell you that you did a double and three singles, instead of a set of five (and yes, chalk up the work set every time).

    The good news is that it certainly didn't look heavy for you!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    The good news is that it certainly didn't look heavy for you!
    Yet, I could only pull 270 off the floor once this morning... (facepalm)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zklimczak View Post
    Yet, I could only pull 270 off the floor once this morning... (facepalm)
    (1) chalk, (2) alternate grip (or hook)

    You used double overhand grip in the video at 265. Try an alternate grip for 270, and let us know what happens.

    Alternate grip:

    Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training (3d ed.), p. 100-101

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,424

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by zklimczak View Post
    Help me unpack this one a little bit. It sounds like the purpose of moving back a quarter inch is to close the hip angle and the knee angle (which would happen if I moved back a bit). Would this then pull my shoulders back to be directly over the bar? Likewise, how does that impact lifting performance?
    Being the correct distance from the bar will allow you to set up on midfoot, with the shoulder just forward of the bar. Right now, you're compensating for the bar being too close by setting up more toward the heels. Pulling from midfoot is better than pulling from the heels.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •