starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check 1x6 100kg (220lbs)

Default Squat check 1x6 100kg (220lbs)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi there,

Could someone please give me a form check for my squat. When I watch the video I think I am doing it fairly well, however during the lift I feel as if I am bent over too much and too much on my lower back.
    6”2 (187cm) 92kg (202lbs) body weight.
    Any tips would be appreciated.

6x100kg low bar squat - YouTube

Many thanks

You're not bent over at all. You are floppy and loose generally. Your hips way, way lead your knees. Can't see much from this angle other than you're not lookin at the ground.

This angle is not helpful. It's going to be hard to give good advice.

Break at your hips and knees at the same time. You're just leading with your hips.

It doesn't appear that you know how to control your low back. You'll need to learn that. There are a lot of resources on this site to fix that.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

You're looking up. You need to fix your gaze on a spot six feet in front of your feet.
    Why are you doing 6? That weight is too light. It should be your second warm up.
    You waver front to back at the top every time because the weight is too light and you can fiddle around with your feet and knees or something.
    You need to learn to set your low back and bend over immediately as you push your hips back.

Thanks for the responses and guidance. I have read the squat chapter again but still find it hard to set my back.

Here is a warmup set and I have been trying to break my hips and knees and the same time.

I also try to fix my gaze but have a wall a few feet in front me me so it can be hard to find a spot on the floor far enough in front of me.

3x85kg warm up - YouTube

I have just seen your response as well Jim. I was up to 125kg 3x5 but didn’t feel I was squatting correctly so backed off to try and improve form.

Also I just watched a video from many years ago from rip on lower back position control and I think I can understand the pelvic tilt to gain lumbar control. I feel I can set it but start to lose that control at the bottom of the squat so will try and work on it.

You're still breaking at just the hips first. You might have to think "knees bend first" in order to fix it. Don't stop at the bottom.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

That cue may work for me actually, thanks. I will give it a try when I squat next.

Your gaze needs to be lower you are looking up too high, you only need to look about 4-5 feet in front of you. This may help with your hip drive as well. Tuck your chin towards your chest.

starting strength coach development program
    Good catch, Mundo. I didn't notice that the first time.