starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift & Squat have always been close, technique or morphology?

Default Deadlift & Squat have always been close, technique or morphology?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I keep hearing that my deadlift should be heavier than my squat but they have always been close for me. I'm wondering if my form is wrong or if my body type is making it harder. I often hear Rip talk about guys with small hands and short arms being bad at pulling, I would put myself in that category. Here are some links, any input would be appreciated.

Squat - 400lb for 5, last set of 3
    I know my grip is wide but it's the only width that doesn't cause me pain in the elbows. I tried to grip closer and it was comfortable but caused a lot of pain after racking.

Deadlift - 395 for 5, only got 4
    The lift felt good and I was sure I could get 5, but at the top of the 4th rep I felt a sharp pain like an electric shock shoot through my lower back. I've had this happen before but never saw a doctor about it, just de-loaded for a week or two. I assume a pull or small tear in the muscle? I blame not staying tight enough.

For background I'm 44, 5'6" and 210lbs. I have been lifting for a while but only focusing on strength for 18 months.

Thanks for any and all input,
    Ken

I know, I know!! You're squat is about 4 inches high!!!! That makes it easy to "squat" more than you pull!!! And your deadlift stance is too wide!!!

Thank you for watching and the advice, I'll work on going deeper and narrow my stance.

Maybe i miss something, but i think the depth looks quite good. Could someone give me a hint?

You missed the 4 inches of depth. Read the book.

I took 40lbs off and tried squatting deeper, is it deep enough? I could feel muscles coming in to play that haven't before, especially in the hamstrings. I also recorded a set from the side as it might show the depth better.

Squat 365 for 5, last set of 3
    Squat 365 for 5, 2nd set of 3 side angle

I narrowed my deadlift stance and it felt so much better, thank you for all the advice.

Other form questions aside, your 3rd set still looked high. I'm not a coach but your stance might be an inch or two wide.

Last 3 reps were high. This is what happens when you let your knees slide forward at the bottom.

When I started this thread I thought my squat was fine and I'd get criticism on my deadlift, it's really eye opening to learn you're not as good at something as you thought you were. I'm not going to post on this anymore, I think it's time to pay SS coach Cody Annino a visit here in CT, I need more help than I thought. Thanks again Rip for taking the time to watch and give feedback, it's really great that you are so accessible to this community.

starting strength coach development program
    Cody is the best idea. He'll get this fixed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast