starting strength gym

Thread: Press form check, minor AC pain

Default Press form check, minor AC pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    After I press, I feel some pain in my left AC joint. It's not present during the press, but only in the 30 seconds or so after.

I don't care about the pain in and of itself because it's mild and of short duration and does not hinder my workout, but I am terrified that I might be doing damage in the long run. The pain is most present at the second of releasing tension (reracking the bar).

Also, when I stand sideways against a wall, and I push my straight arm laterally against the wall as hard as I can, it does not hurt at all, however, when I abruptly release tension, it hurts my AC joint.

I would like to ask specifically if there is anything in my form that could cause shoulder issues.

Thank you very much

December 13, 2021 - YouTube

Your grip is about an inch and a half too wide on each side. That certainly might be contributing. Have you watched the Learning To Press video?

Why does this gym appear to also be a nightclub?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Your grip is about an inch and a half too wide on each side. That certainly might be contributing. Have you watched the Learning To Press video?

Why does this gym appear to also be a nightclub?
    It's definitely a gym that attracts a certain type of person yes. But it's the only one that is not constantly packed

That might be it yes thank you. I did watch it , the grip feels a lot narrower than what it looks like on the video. I'm quite terrified i may have irreversibly f*d up my shoulder by doing this grip for the past 10 years. I will probably order an MRI of both shoulders to be sure and hope for the best.

That seems unnecessary at this point, but you do what you think is right.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

That's one hell of a sticking point, were you intentionally doing paused reps? I only ask because the weight seems to fly everywhere aside form that sticking point on the last few reps. I've noticed shoulder pain trying to do pin presses at around the same height as you got stuck, so that may be contributing somehow. I'm no expert by any means, but such and extreme sticking point it seems odd.

Have you tried to get a bounce off of a hip thrust to press through the sticking point?