starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check 170lbs x5

Default Squat form check 170lbs x5

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey, 27 year old sedentary computer addict. Totally out of shape weakling. Been trying to do the program for about 2 and a half months now.

About a month ago, I got my squat to 215 lbs, and then my knees started caving, so I de-loaded to 185lbs and brought it back to 215lbs, 5lbs per session, took me two weeks. It felt like my knees were close to caving again a lot though.

I just acquired a weightlifting belt and proper squat shoes which I didn't have before, so I lowered the weight yet again and I'd really like to get this form better.

These look pretty solid. The depth of rep 1 looks to be just right, so I would work toward that and refrain from going lower; the last few reps were lower than you need. I would also work on getting out of the bottom immediately. You might not have been trying to pause at the bottom, but there is a slight pause. The bottom of the squat is a stretch reflex, so use it.

More from a programming standpoint, I would suggest you think long and hard before de-loading. Yes, you want form to be on point, but if you drop weight when you have form failure, you'll never get out of the 200's. If your knees are caving in, just make it a point to not allow that to happen. Your form looks pretty good here, but good form is easy when the weight isn't heavy, relative to your current strength.

-aspiring SSC

What Bruce said. Also, get your eyes down and emphasize the hips on the way up.

You can drop a video of you squatting from behind in this thread and we can look at the knees. It's something you'll need to work on, but not by resetting the weight every time it happens.

I'm at 210 lbs now.

I decided to include set 2, because in my first rep of set 3, I am coming up too forward on my toes on the ascent. I felt that I corrected the next 4 reps, but I included the previous set as well just in case it could help you help me somehow.

I have to do a little setup dance to get the bar centered on my back, because I discovered on video behind that I have a tendency to set up with the center knurl of the bar slightly offcenter to the left of my neck. Not sure why it's happening. I now film every warmup set from behind to make sure everything is centered.

Your gaze needs to be lower. 4-5 feet in front of you. Your depth is good but you are basically high bar squatting with the bar in a low bar position. Get your chest towards the ground, push your butt back, and drive your hips up.

Thanks! I was looking about 10 ft ahead. I'm not sure if that's what's going on with my chest angle though. Might just be a mental block. I'll stay at the same weight and see if I can pull it off.

Here was my 3rd set of squats today. It looks way easier on video.

230 lbs today. Criticisms please?
    3rd set squat 230lbs - YouTube

Rear angle 235 x 4. My hand moved outwards before rep 5 so I set the bar on the safeties.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by megawax1 View Post
    230 lbs today. Criticisms please?
    3rd set squat 230lbs - YouTube
    Pretty solid here. It looks like your still looking "out" instead of down though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast