starting strength gym

Thread: Tailbone/glutes pain, I think I've found the cause

Default Tailbone/glutes pain, I think I've found the cause

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ok, so I did a post about a hip/tailbone pain and I think I've found the cause.

When I started SS the pain started and progressively got worse. I did SS for 2.5 months and I'm doing 5/3/1 right now. I tried everything to get rid of the pain: chiropractor, NSAIDs, foam rolling, sleeping on the floor, I even did a off week and the pain still there. You can see my post here: Deadlift form check. Am I doing a Stiff Legged?

A few weeks ago I posted a video of me deadlifting here and on reddit and some people pointed out that maybe I was making my deadlift into stiff legged deadlift. At first I thought it was wrong, even Rip said that my form was good, but this week after recording a video from the side I think I'm letting my hips shoot up on the stat of the pull, basically turning the movement into a stiff mid pull.

My theory is that months of doing this motion with heavy loads caused an injury on my SI joint, because I was loading too much my glutes, hips and lower back. At firs I thought it was the squat, but now I can definitely tell that the pain gets worse when I deadlift, and my lower back and glutes are very sore a few days after.

Here is the video I'm talking about: Deadlift form check - YouTube

What are your thoughts in my form and the injury.

I'm thinking about changing to sumo for some time to put less stress on the SI joint and let the injury heal.

You drop your hips a little as you got to set the back, right before you pull. See the bar move? Once your shins touch the bar, the hips needs to stay locked in place.

Try deadlifting in lifting shoes first, and see if that gives you some relief. Then try a lower rack pull where the bar starts a couple inches off the ground. I'd try those two things first.